Honda Rear Caliper Dust Boot?

Rebuilt a rear caliper for Honda and for the life of me can't put the dust boot seal.

Used brake fluid, silglyde and a lot of different ways using piston, inverting it, etc. but no luck, is there any trick to it?

what type of boot is it? does it snap on, have a c clip, or is it more like a cam seal at the bottom. i rebuilt toyota ones before. on the highlander dual piston front calipers. it requires the dust boot on before inserting the piston. so i put the seal on at the bottom of the piston, snap in the dust boot onto the caliper, then align and gently push in the piston.

That caliper looks similar to the old Legend rear caliper. I've yet to rebuild a Legend rear caliper, just because it's less hassle to just swap in a rebuilt unit.

The Legend FSM procedure is:
  1. Install the male screw portion of the piston into the caliper (special tools - looks like a PITA).
  2. Lube the piston seal and boot with silicone grease.
  3. Install the piston seal and boot into the caliper. There's no description of any special techniques required.
  4. Lube the OD of the piston with silicone grease.
  5. Screw the piston onto the caliper.

That caliper looks similar to the old Legend rear caliper. I've yet to rebuild a Legend rear caliper, just because it's less hassle to just swap in a rebuilt unit.

The Legend FSM procedure is:
  1. Install the male screw portion of the piston into the caliper (special tools - looks like a PITA).
  2. Lube the piston seal and boot with silicone grease.
  3. Install the piston seal and boot into the caliper. There's no description of any special techniques required.
  4. Lube the OD of the piston with silicone grease.
  5. Screw the piston onto the caliper.
Then let me ask something additional - there are 3 small ball bearings which control parking brake.

Is there any trick for it too? Nothing mentioned in FSM for it as far as I have searched.

Then let me ask something additional - there are 3 small ball bearings which control parking brake.

Is there any trick for it too? Nothing mentioned in FSM for it as far as I have searched.
These are the only bearings in the Legend caliper. Looks like "Bearing A" is a kind of thrust ball bearing. 🤷‍♂️ The Acura FSM just says to grease the needle bearing with P/N 08733-B020E or equvalent.

Untitled_163.jpg

Last edited:
Back