Honda question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, I know there is alot of talk about 5w20 oils. I just wanted your pro opinion. I would like to run 5w30 in my Honda. I really don't think that 5w20 gives the best protection. I live in hawaii where it is hot mostly year round. I most likely will run dino oil because the dealers out here want oil changes at 3700. So, I want to change it at the right times to avoid any warrenty issues. First, will running 5w30 hurt my warranty? Secound, what is the best dino oil in the 5w30 weight? I assume I would want some moly in it. thank you all in advance for the info....KB

In Hawaii, I'd move it up to 10w-30 in the dino oil of your choice. Seriously, your climate warrents 10w-30 over 5w-30, no ifs ands or buts about it. Pretty much all the common dinos out there are going to give you equal results.

Oh, if your changing the oil yourself, run whatever viscosity you want. The only way they could prove that oil other than 5w-20 killed your engine (which is a 1 in 10000000000000000000000000000000 chance) would be to sample it etc. They probably couldn't even tell the difference between 5w and 10w, only if the particular lab tested it.

Cool, so you guys think even 10w30 would be ok? thats what I use in my toyota tacoma. Mobil1 10w30 that is...kb

If you are going to use Mobil One than I would just use the 5W-30. You will get slightly better fuel economy than with the M1 10W-30. Mobil One 5W-30 is at least 10% thicker than the "dino" 5W-20 oils. Also 5W-30 is very close to the factory recommendation of 5W-20.

At one time Honda was saying that you could use 5W-30 if you were unable to find 5W-20 oil but that you should change back to 5W-20 at the next oil change. It does not sound to me like Honda is trying very hard to find reasons to deny warranty coverage.

When I purchase Mobil One motor oil from Walmart the receipt just says Mobil One. There is no viscosity listed. If you can produce receipts with Mobil One listed than you shoud have no problems in the very unlikely event you have an engine failure. I have read that one Ford dealer performed a UOA when there was an engine failure but I believe that is very rare.

If you are really worried, buy the 5W20 at Wal*Mart, keep the receipt.

Go back the next day and take the 5W20 back without your reciept for exchange for the 10W30.

Wal*Mart will take back anything. You have your documentation that you purchased 5W20 for the oil change.

TB

[ September 12, 2003, 07:38 AM: Message edited by: Tony Boner ]

So, Mobil 1 shouldn't be used in Honda's because it doesn't meet GF-3 specs. Am I right here?

Maybe, but based on how good some of the UOA show how good Mobil 1 in Honda engines is, compared to Redline even, I would't lose one second of sleep over it. And I'd still run 10w-30. Your not going to lose any measureable fuel economy when ambient temps never go below 60 degrees and your going to theoretically get better protectoin.

quote:

Originally posted by kboyv:
I really don't think that 5w20 gives the best protection... First, will running 5w30 hurt my warranty?...

You may want to rethink your first assumption. I had slightly better wear numbers with 0w-20 vs 5w-30 in a test with good controls. A 5w-30 won't void the warranty, but there's no reason to use a higher viscosity than 20-weight in a new Honda.

I'm running M1 5W-30 in my Accord, V6. Haven't had any problems. Running it out to about 5K miles. I just looked at M1 website, 5W-30 does meet and surpasses GF-3 specs. So, this oil would be the way to go.

[ September 12, 2003, 01:35 PM: Message edited by: Schmoe ]

quote:

... For the most part 5w20 are still hard to find in Hawaii. However, the dealer highly suggests changing oil every 3700. Things are always a little diffient here

I understand. The dino 5w-20's are harder to find and more expensive than their 5w-30 counterparts, but they also have better basestocks and stronger additive packages. Either one will work fine in your Honda.

just a simple recommendation, for a conventional oil I would run Castrol GTX, it tests as good as any other oil if not better and has a dose of moly in it for extra protection. It tested out pretty decently in my 02 Civic. It will do fine for 4000 miles or less. They even have a decent 5w-20 oil which you could switch to later on if it makes its way down to your neck of the woods. If your going to be dumping the oil every 3700 miles it may be a waste of money going to something like Mobil1, although I agree that Mobil1 is a great oil with certain benefits. If you plan on sticking with a conventional 5w-20 the Honda fluid is pretty decent (at least the one that comes out of the Honda bottles), dunno about some dealer bulk oils they could come from any source I think.

Thanks for the great input. Just a note, I have never seen Mobil1 0w20 in Hawaii. Just not here. I most likely will have to use Honda 5w20 if I want to stay with 5w20 or Mobil1 5w30 if I choose the syn route. For the most part 5w20 are still hard to find in Hawaii. However, the dealer highly suggests changing oil every 3700. Things are always a little diffient here

quote:

I just wanted your pro opinion... I really don't think that 5w20 gives the best protection. .. will running 5w30 hurt my warranty?

Just run xW20 and enjoy a long life from the vehicle, knowing Honda's Engineers did their homework as usual. The owner's manual has the professional opinion you need.

(Why can't people accept something new?)

[ September 13, 2003, 09:25 AM: Message edited by: S2000driver ]

The new Mobil 1 0w-20 is very well made. Has more Moly and esters then the regular line of Mobil. This is to compensate for its lighter viscosity. Remember, it hasnt been proven that viscosity even plays that big of a role in wear.
And like S2000Driver said, I highly doubt a company like Honda would be using anything that DOESNT promote long engine life.

[ September 13, 2003, 10:14 AM: Message edited by: buster ]

Thanks to all for the great advice. My comment (bad) about best protection was mostly based on my thought towards the consent hot weather and short driving distances(small island). Thats what made me think that 5w30 might be better then xxw20 in my Honda. I did check with the dealer. They use bulk Gastrol 5w20 and they also sell Honda bottled 5w20. Wal-Mart here sells a couple 5w20 but, always seems to be out. Honda is the number #1 selling car company in Hawaii.

quote:

My comment (bad) about best protection was mostly based on my thought towards the consent hot weather and short driving distances(small island).

I just had a UOA done on 5W-20 Pennzoil on my 02 Accord with minimal wear #'s and we had 3 weeks straight between 105F-110F and the rest of the time the highs were 95F or above between June and the end of August.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back