Honda Prelude oil & filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm finding this site to be very useful to my search for some of the better oils and filters out there.
cheers.gif

Now onto my question. I was planing on using a Purolator Pure One filter and quaker state peak performence 10w30(for summer use and 5w30 for winter). After reading alot of posts about all the diffrint oils that can be used I'm thinking twice about QS oil.

I still like the idea of using a pure one filter (unless you guys can reccomend a better filter that can hold up to high RPM engine use).

Help me out all you oil gearheads
grin.gif
what's the best oil I can use for this high reving Prelude motor of mine.

I use PureOnes, and rev my ride as well. Try the oversized PL24458 in lieu of the PL14459. At about 175 sq in, it has more media than probably any other Honda filter (twice that of the lowly 81 sq in Bosch #3312), so I don't worry about flow. Although I'd prefer Pennzoil, I wouldn't hesitate to use QS Peak Performance for the 59 cents/qt I sometimes see it promoted for. It gets trash-talked here (I believe QS may have had some questionable oils a few decades back), but the few recent QS UOAs I've seen here actually look quite good, with iron/copper/lead wear well below 10 ppm. Here's one:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001451#000000

All the info I was looking for and then some (thanks on the info on plus sizing filters
grin.gif
).

The OEM filter for the S2000 would be my choice.

160 in^2 of media according to Jay and built by Toyo Roki who builds the best quality of filters I've seen. $5.50/ea in bulk.

quote:

Originally posted by satterfi:
The OEM filter for the S2000 would be my choice.

160 in^2 of media according to Jay and built by Toyo Roki who builds the best quality of filters I've seen. $5.50/ea in bulk.

sounds good! I'll have to check and see if the local honda dealer has them. iIf they don't havr the toyo roki filter I'll just get a pure one PL24458
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Quick_lude:
Does your Prelude use oil? If so, how much? Mine used about 3quarts/6,000 miles.

I know H22A engines are well known for burning oil. I also hear that if you use VTEC alot it'll burn more oil then if you stay below VTEC.
If I'm light on the gas peddle my engine will hardly burn any oil.

thanks for your input
smile.gif

I'm going to try a oil change today and tell you all how it goes and what stuff I used when I'm done.
and where's the welcoming party anyway, I mean I just joined a day or two ago
tongue.gif

I got the toyo roki filter and QS peak performence 10w30 oil. The oil change went pretty smoothly for my first oil change.

If the ambient temps where you are don't go below 10 Deg Celsius I would suggest using a 15w40 hdeo. Those oils should resist burning much better than any 10w30 and the H22a actually specs a 40 weight oil in Europe and Japan.
For the colder temps, definitely use a 5w30. Your call if you want go synthetic, it will cost a lot more, especially with the constant oil usage.

So anyway guys I'm not really worried about the filter (or I would have posted a post in the filter section
wink.gif
). I'm still wondering about the oil. if the QS peak performence is good nuff or would you guys reccomend anything else?
Just for the record engine has about 50k miles on it. I just want to get more then a couple peoples opinion on oils to use.

[ June 24, 2004, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: pwrusr ]

Well I dont know anything about it. Its not marketed as blend and they state conventional oil so I assume it is a Group II (assuming best case).

The Ford Motorcraft / Conoco Hydroclear 5W-30 now appears to be a Group II+/III Synthetic Blend like the 5W-20. You have to read the back of the bottle to tell. It is only $1.42 QT at WalMart. Given the performance that combination of basestocks and additive package have turned in on UOA's, I would be hard pressed to argue against that oil for bang for the buck.

So assuming the QS is a higher priced oil I might consider the MC.

Doesnt mean the QS isnt a good oil, I just dont know about its benefit to dollar ratio. With no UOA's to trend I really am at a loss. It might be the best or worse possible oil for your car, who knows?

Gene

I would advise against Mobil 1 filters in this application. I don't know the whole story but I spoke to a 'Luder a few years ago who blew the seam out on two different M1 filters.
shocked.gif

Just food for thought.
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Originally posted by Quick_lude:
If the ambient temps where you are don't go below 10 Deg Celsius I would suggest using a 15w40 hdeo. Those oils should resist burning much better than any 10w30 and the H22a actually specs a 40 weight oil in Europe and Japan.
For the colder temps, definitely use a 5w30. Your call if you want go synthetic, it will cost a lot more, especially with the constant oil usage.

It gets colder then 10c here in the spring and fall, at night time anyway. I think I should be cool with 10w30 for summer since my car hardly burns any oil now, even when I'm hard on it.

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:
I would advise against Mobil 1 filters in this application. I don't know the whole story but I spoke to a 'Luder a few years ago who blew the seam out on two different M1 filters.
shocked.gif

Just food for thought.
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

I think I'm going to stick with the toyo roki oil filtes. They seem to be one of the best oil filters made for hondas. Comparing the old filter that was on my car to the new one was amazeing...
The old filter was a honeywell (same company as fram) that was installed by the dealership. The honeywell was alot skinier then the new fat toyo roki filter. So I'm sure the TR filter has alot more filter area and I feel that much better running it now
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back