Status
Not open for further replies.
2006 Honda Pilot EX
In : 11/5/14 120,028
Out : 3/21/15 124,142
-132 miles on OLM
Whatever oil Honda uses for their fill 5W20

I went with the spam can method to open

Looks good to me...fram/rank/honeywell or whatever they called themselves awhile back tough guard in a blue wrapper
smile.gif

~4000 miles and 4 1/2 months on its OLM seems a rather short interval these days but it's prudent to follow 'em imho.
Good on Honda for outsourcing low margin consumables to the Yanks.

Pity the interwebz participants rocking 56k in 2015.

Originally Posted By: SnowDrifter
Completely off topic, funny seeing you here

LOL, I'm a man's man so I try to dable in everything!

Originally Posted By: jdavis
What am I missing here? What went wrong or didn't go wrong?

I'm still a noob here so for me this was just a regular OCI. What makes it unique is the fact this oil and filter are going to be the last the dealer does. We bought this car new with 11 miles on it and had it serviced at the same Honda dealer.

No more 1hr 30 minute waits and $32 for 4.5qts and a filter.

I went back in my records and found that the OLM was consistent over the last 9 years reaching 0% at about 4K

I put a Fram Ultra and Mobil 5000 in it but am looking for alternatives. Maybe a blend or all synthetic with a better filter and bumping the intervals. Undecided as of yet

Originally Posted By: tratman2000
So why stay away? It looks good

Nothing the dealer did.
I've always been a DIY guy. My wife wanted the car to go to the dealer for everything because she didn't want to give them any reason to deny a claim under warranty.
Well, 9 years and 120k+ that excuse is out the door. The last straw for me was the nearly two hour wait she had at the dealer for an oil change last time out.
For teh cost of 1 oil change I can buy 5 PLM-A01's off Amazon and buy oil when it goes on sale. Do an oil change at my leisure in the driveway on my day off and waste no time at the dealer.

I went back in my records and found that the OLM was consistent over the last 9 years reaching 0% at about 4K

Lots of short trips ?
Or is this common for V6 Hondas ?

Lol it doesn't matter to me but I'm sure some of the forum nazis will flag it but you will get more replies in that section

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bud_One

Lots of short trips ?
Or is this common for V6 Hondas ?

80/20
with the 80% being in town local driving less than 15 miles to any given destination.

My Honda S2000 had 3 oil changes at dealer because it was free. All other oil changes had been done in my garage when I feel like to do it(within a month of 1 year OCI).

The E430 was the same, all dealer oil changes were free, after those free oil changes I did it in my garage.

Why spent 1-2 hours at dealer plus time driving there for something you can do for 30 minutes and when you please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back