Honda owners - ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First I'd get away from the 0-20's with that kind of rpm's. I'd use 5W-30, as a lot of us Accord owners use. That 0-20 may thin out too much and getting past the cylinder rings.

Don't worry about oil consumption, you'll be dead long before the car gives up. Maybe buy more life insurance.

Hi I have 2005 Accord LX 4 cyl Auto.

I drive 80+mph and I do OCI at 5,000 miles. First 10,000 miles (I have 14,000 miles now)car used up a bit of oil but not any more. I use German Castrol OW-30 in the winter and 10-30 in the summer. I just think it is total bull to put 5-20 oil in the engine no matter how good the engine and oil is. Sorry, I just feel like I am putting water in my car.

Give your engine a bit more time. Use good 5-30 or 0-30 oil, good filter and don't worry.

'03 civic with the 1.7l. 76,600mi and i usually run 7,500mi oci's. the only time i ever noticed consumption was when i used amsoil xl-7500 recently. went down about 1/4 - 1/2 a quart in a 7,500mi oci. back to mobil 1 for me. i dont drive the car hard either.

Your engine isn't even broken in yet. Seriously, just from personal experience every big name japanese car I've driven doesn't seem to completely smooth out until the late 20k or early 30k in mileage.

Either way, VTEC most certaintly does burn oil. It will burn a LOT if you're constantly romping on the engine but shouldn't just from sustained high RPMs. It only engages during hard acceleration. 5200 - 7500 RPMs in my Honda. When it engages oil is delivered to the secondary cam that lifts the intake valves higher and ends up being burned off in the combustion chamber.

My engine has burned oil since new to it's current 105,000 miles whether it be conventional or synthetic, regardless of brand or weight, but I'm really in love with the gas pedal in that Prelude. I'm anywhere from 1/2 to a full quart low in 3k miles. Perfect compression, clean engine, and no leaks just a lot of high RPM runs.

Don't forget to have your valves adjusted at around 30,000 miles. Depending on how you drive you can relax on those periodic adjustments a bit after the first one.

Valve adjustment isn't called for in the 7th generations with 2.4L iVTEC until 110,000 miles. Also, there is no timing belt.

I'd switch to 5W20 like the manufacturer calls for. I'd also do some overnight drain down checks to make sure it isn't low.

I can check the oil in our 2005 Accord one morning and it be 1/2 quart low. Next day, it will be back up at the top dot. I don't sweat it. Only time I've added oil is after putting in just 4-1/2 quarts at an oil change. It seems to take almost 5 whole quarts to fill the crankcase and oil filter.

I have the 2.4L Accord. I have 8,500 miles on M1 0w-20. I've used 1 quart of makeup oil so far. I noticed that most of the UOA's on BITOG with this same engine have ZERO makeup oil listed. I average 80mph for 100 miles per day. Car sees shifts at 3,5000 to 4,000 rpms. Car has also seen brief 100 mph sprints. Do you think that oil consumption is normal under those conditions? I wish it didn't burn any personally but I know some VTEC engines do consume some oil. The 2.4L in particular isn't one known to burn any though.

Good point Winston. If I were to change it every 5k or so, I wouldn't be adding any either and as long as the level stays in between both the low and full marks, you're fine. Considering how hard I have driven it, it hasn't all that much. I was thrown off a bit bc I know most with this engine have had "0 makeup" oil listed on their UOA's.

*I've also read that some oil consumption is a good thing and actually can be beneficial. It was also suggested that some engines will last longer that consume some oil as the valve guides are getting better lubrication and as well as the upper cylinders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back