Honda owners ... are you running dino for 10k OCI's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If your Mom drives around town then she is considered "severe" use. In that case 6 months or 5,000 miles. Not to many normal use folks around. And I would not push a dino that far.

i wouldnt go 10k on a dino unless you rack up a lot of miles on the highway.

on dino, id say 5k with short trips, frequent stop and go, mostly city

7.5k with 50/50 city/highway

10k with mostly highway

I would run a 5w20 Blend like Motorcraft and change every 6 months or 5k.Thats every 6 months even if only 500 miles went on it.

If you are using syn, that's absolutely fine. Heck, I've been doing 14-20k on Amsoil 0w30 for three years now and zero problems on a 2001 Civic. However, this place has ruined me to 10k M1/Amsoil changes!

Sure there is. Regular Pennzoil 5W20 in the yellow bottle is made with Group II+ base stocks and a good additive package. No synthetic in it.

quote:

Originally posted by ex_MGB:
No such thing as a "dino" 5W-20.

That's what I thought. In order to meet the Ford 5W20 sequence test that requires an oil to hold up twice as long as conventional dino, I thought a synthetic blend was required, even though it might not so state on the bottle.

Read Johnny's post. I wouldn't take even a semi-synthetic oil up to 10K. I was surprised that Honda is recommending 10K OCI's. I've seen them at 7.5K.

Agree--dino to 10K is really pushing it. And Honda recommends filter changes every other time which would equate to 20,000 miles on the filter--I might try that but no way on the dino for 10K.

After break-in, I'm going 4 months (8k-10k) on Mobil 1 0w-30.

I dumped FF at 2500
Havoline 5w-20 to 7500
Havoline Synth to 12500

Afterwords I'm not counting miles, just months.

Unless we consider Honda to be involved in a conspiracy to shorten engine life by offering excessively long OCI's, why not just follow what the manual states?

Despite most of us being uncomfortable with a 1yr/10K mile OCI, Honda understands their engines far more than any of us.

Don't knock the 10k OCI's in the new Honda 2.4L Accords. I wouldn't do it unless 80% of the mileage was easy interstate, but our 2005 is doing great. It's at about 4,500 miles on a run of Havoline 5W20 and the oil looks great.

Yeah, yeah, I know, oil looks mean nothing.

But there have been some great long OCI UOA's posted here on the 2.4L Accords.

Well njc, I have older CRV (2001) and Civic CX (1995), both taking only 3 l/qt. Civic manual states 12K km / 6 months normal service. As I use it for summer, mostly highway, that would apply to me. However, it is a small 1.5L engine that I assume works hard, so .... do I want to follow the manual and use 12K km OCI with dino?!?! As it is older car I am not using synth for it. I've been closer to 7K OCI which is severe service. I wouldn't mind using a longer OCI but I am concerned about the small oil capacity?!?!

CRV is for winter, severe service which is 6K km, fair enough. But I am not changing oil in Feb/Mar (too cold) so I use synthetic that can last me until spring.

I guess my question is if I can push "longer" OCIs on my Hondas that have low oil capacity???

These are 5W30 recommended types, so before all the xW20 stuff.

quote:

Originally posted by njc:
Unless we consider Honda to be involved in a conspiracy to shorten engine life by offering excessively long OCI's, why not just follow what the manual states?

Despite most of us being uncomfortable with a 1yr/10K mile OCI, Honda understands their engines far more than any of us.

There were many VAG owners who felt the same way about their 1.8Ts a few years back.

If you are using a good synthetic and doing a lot of highway driving 10K would be fine. But no way I would try going 10K on a dino or synthetic blend. in Honda. Synthetic blends are just dino oils with a unstandardized percent of group III normally. Ten percent group III synthetic in a dino oil could be called a synthetic blend.

Common UOAs do not tell you everything going on inside a motor. UOAs could look good on an engine but that does not mean its not building up deposits.

quote:

Originally posted by Volvohead:

quote:

There were many VAG owners who felt the same way about their 1.8Ts a few years back.

Picking a few examples of engine oil related problems is not statistically significant nor good enough to lose faith in Honda engineers. According to this, they produce 14 million engines per year. And the vast majaority of the ones I've encountered have been extremely reliable and durable.

The consensus on this board (as I understand) is Honda's are easy on oil.

quote:

Originally posted by Volvohead:

quote:

My thoughts exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back