Honda oil viscosities: North America v. Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.
The H22 is a (very) low volume high-performance Honda 2.2L 4cyl engine only used in the Prelude. It was for the most part unchanged from 1992-2001, and US and European engines are the same. I only looked at the European service manual today, and was pretty shocked at what I found.

92-96 North America:
4genUSDM.jpg

92-96 Europe: Note that for the H22 they specifically tell you not to use 5W-30 above freezing. 15W-40 and 20W-50 below freezing?
shocked2.gif
:
4genEuro.jpg

97-01 North America (H22 becomes standard in NA). Fuel economy anyone? :
5genUSDM.jpg

Last edited:
One clue is the date of recommendations.

In later years, as the 5W-30 lubricants progresses through improvements in tribology, then it ok to use it at higher ambient temperatures.

It's still a massive difference. Not like 5W-30 to 20W-50 is a single step. And note 92-96 NA v. Europe. Same time period, very very different charts. The viscosity specs in the european service manual are pretty ridiculous imo.

Last edited:
ive got the same motor in my 99, (I love the euro models with 4ws! even on the 5th gens) but ya I use Amsoil ASL 5w30 in it now going to try out PP 5w30 next change as our other vehicle requires an hto-06 certification.

These motors are also known for burning oil, just about every h22 out there is burning some amount of oil, some more then others.

Could the heavier weights be a fix for this burning issue on those in europe??

Maybe. Would be interesting to see what the 5th gen helms specs. I'll be using PP 5/10W-30 when the jdm engine is swapped in.

The H22 is a kinda bad engine to do this on, because the cyliners don't have a cast iron liner like every other Honda, they have a nickasil plating. And it has a relatively high specific output. So it should have more interesting oil recommendations than a more sedate engine.

But wow, that is interesting. The Honda UK numbers are almost too complicated. But I do like the short little SAE 30 bar at the top.

It's not Nikasil, and it's not a plating. They aren't even liners for that matter, the block is cast around them. Fiber Refinforced Metal (FRM). Carbon-fiber/Aluminum-oxide material.

Last edited:
Aren't the factory recommended OCI's alot longer in everywhere but North America? So starting with thicker oil helps avoid issues with viscosity break down and fuel dilution over 15,000km+

I think in the past the downsides of heavier wieght oils were far surpassed by the upsides, especially if you don't weigh a 1% increase in a manufacturers fleet mileage as important.

Hah,

I just filled my Acura's crank case with mix of M1 15W-50 and M1 10W-30 pretty much a 1:1 ratio and na sluggishness or valve train noise (aside from somewhat usual M1 cold tick) fuel economy..... will see I just burned trough half tank but I think it is the same (or maybe better?)

CAFE, CAFE, CAFE...

I'll try and find it, but even in the new K series Hondas they use 40w oils in EVERY country except America.

Quote:
The Honda UK numbers are almost too complicated.

I'd rather term it that they simplify it for the NA consumer.

Quote:
But I do like the short little SAE 30 bar at the top.

The little stubby is kinda funny. It does show the limits for the grade on the down side. Perfectly sensible for people who may actually want to understand what the manufacturer is trying to communicate. It would require that they care.

Originally Posted By: zulu
CAFE, CAFE, CAFE...

I'll try and find it, but even in the new K series Hondas they use 40w oils in EVERY country except America.

So you obviously have proof showing w20 oils are worse for engines?

CAFE, CAFE, CAFE...

It would be interesting to see definitively what Honda recommends for the newer engines (L, K, and R) in Europe and Japan. Is this info available online anywhere?

Originally Posted By: rationull
CAFE, CAFE, CAFE...

It would be interesting to see definitively what Honda recommends for the newer engines (L, K, and R) in Europe and Japan. Is this info available online anywhere?

It would also be interesting to know the availability of w20 oils in those same areas.

My M1 brew is all I had on hand 2005 vintage 'SL' squareish bottles, the engine does not sound too hash but then again, subjective stuff.
Some new Hondas in central europe at least do allow/recommend 0W-30 but the 5/10W-40 is still recommended there.

Here's the Civic chart. The engine used in current Civic's is the same as this chart is for, from 2002. NOTE: Everything I've posted is from the factory service manuals.

North America: 5W-20, all ambient temps. 1yr/10,000 miles. Replace filter every other oil change.

UK: 1yr/12,500 miles. Replace filter every other oil change.
EuroK.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back