Honda oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use the OE Honda filters on most Hondas I service.

Why? Because I can get a 10-pk for around $45 shipped. It's cheaper than any other filter that has a silicone ADBV.

Originally Posted By: silverado1
What are your opinions on Honda oem oil filters....we just bought a 2014 accord sport and I have no experience with Honda.....thanks

I would have no hesitation using the Honda AO2. Sure it is made by Fram, but to Honda Specs. There is lots of info on here about there build quality.

Originally Posted By: HKPolice
Google it. Honda A02 filters are rebadged Fram Tough guards. Wix & Fram Ultras are the best in terms of build quality.

They can't be the same as the Tough Guard because their efficiency is nowhere near as good:

eao-efficiency-chart.jpg

So while they may be manufactured by FRAM (like Purolator makes the Motorcraft filters for Ford), they are made to Honda's spec, which apparently requires far less efficient media
21.gif

OEM filters are often genuine values in the market.

It takes a little planning to stop by the dealership and you will probably need to buy a case to get the best discount.

But it's a worthwhile use of your time.

Also, what does Toyota and Honda engineers know about filter effiency that the "experts" on this board don't.

Maybe it's that neither flow nor filtration needs to be maximized at the expense of the other.

Personally I use the OEM Hyundai/Kia oil filter on my Honda CRV. The reviews and price on this oil filter convinced me to try it out. I've been using them for about 20,000 miles and so far so good.

I don't know if another brand dealer manufacturers oil filter will void your warranty.

The A01 filter is the preferred filter in the Honda community. That's likely due to lingering anti-Fram bias, but it also seems to have better construction.

About 10 years ago I went through about a dozen warranty claims for internal engine damage on emergency generators, 4 cylinder diesel engines. The manufacturer spent their effort looking at the internal parts of the engine to determine what happened and they never asked what kind of oil or filter or the schedule for maintenance. They told me that they could tell what happened with their inspection, measurements, testing and lab analysis and they were correct on every one. The 2 engines that were abused, that is skipped maintenance were really easy to spot and 3 engines had bearing failures not related to maintenance. Anyway all the determinations were made and the customer was satisfied with the results. I reviewed the photos, the test procedures, the lab work and the reports and they all combined to create a very compelling case for each engine. There were not arguments or disputes on either side and the matters were quickly settled to everyone's satisfaction. There was no drama. One manufacturer's rep said this might not be so easy dealing with automobiles and the general public because some owners are easily distracted.

They're good filters. The previous owner of my Acura used the A02s for the first 120,000 miles a majority of the time and I've used the A01 many times since then on the same car. I'm not sure if I'd go out of my way for them again since more efficient filters can be had for the same or less money, though.

Fram Ultra for sure. Highest efficiency and capacity you can find in a spin on. The only dual layer synthetic media filter available. All other synthetic filters use only one layer of media.

Anyone remember when Honda oil filters were the 15400-P0H-305 style

$T2eC16Z,!)QE9s3HFgCKBQc0G(6mww~~60_57.JPG

Well they may now only be reserved for S2000s @ your North American Honda dealer, but I'd sill personally use the S2K filter on any Honda. If you don't want to fork up for an OEM Filtech, there are plenty of aftermarket equivalents like a Mahle OC330 for under 3 bucks, or a Denso for just over 3 bucks. If you want a bigger capacity filter, there's MOBIL 1 M1207 for under 5 bucks on Rockauto all of which are great filters

As others have said, the A01s are the better of the 2 - some even run them 2 oci's with no problems and Honda's blessing. After seeing the rave reviews, I've decided to try out the fram ultras on my 2011 civic.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jmb106
Originally Posted By: silverado1
What are your opinions on Honda oem oil filters....we just bought a 2014 accord sport and I have no experience with Honda.....thanks

I would have no hesitation using the Honda AO2. Sure it is made by Fram, but to Honda Specs. There is lots of info on here about there build quality.

You can still FIND the A01s on Amazon.. I purchased 2 A01s for the same price as A02s

Just make sure if you buy on Amazon to ask the seller that you want the A01 and NOT the A02 and make sure the seller has the A01s in stock. Thats what I did and got exactly what I wanted
smile.gif

However Im sure the A02s are fine... I was told RANK now makes Filters for Honda or Rank makes filers for Honeywell or somthing to that effect.

However if you can find the A01 for your HONDA.. Get the A01 Or the HEMP Synergy.

Originally Posted By: David1
I was told RANK now makes Filters for Honda or Rank makes filers for Honeywell or somthing to that effect.
The Rank Group (NZ) bought FRAM from Honeywell a few years ago and also more recently bought Champion Laboratories, then combined them as FRAM Filtration.

Life is too short to worry about the oil filter.
Either use the Honda filter or any name brand filter from your local department store or autopart store. Stick with a full synth oil. It'll last!

I use the A02s on our cars if I have them, but I don't go out of my way to use them. I currently have (2) A02s and (3) PL14610s in stock. Once I use those up, I'll be on the lookout for more filter bargains.

The A02 has a lousy efficiency rating compared with other filters. Honda engines still go hundreds of thousands of miles on these filters. I feel about filter efficiency the same way I do about 5W-20 vs. 5W-30. It just doesn't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back