Honda oil filter - every other oil change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone keeps insisting on changing filter every time oil is changed, yet I rarely see/hear of serious problems caused by filters that were used for too long, more than a single OCI. In fact, most of us have absolutely no clue how dirty a filter is when we change it. 90%? 70%? 30%? What???????

Dirty oil in filter is not significant. If you are really keen on getting every last drop of dirty oil out, then dump in the cheapest oil you have, drive it around the block couple of times, then drain again. Regardless of a new filter, there are always some places in engine where bit of old oil is left behind.

For my older Civic I replace filter every 2nd time, but use a modest 4K OCI. Also I use bigger QS (Purolator) filters. For my CRV which operates in severe service mode (winter) I change filter every OCI. I am just using common sense. Civic is doing mostly highway during summer, easy service, so safe to go 2 OCIs. CRV has a tougher time during winter storms, so every OCI. So far both are working fine.

I cannot tell which one is correct/better. However I wouldn't be too quick to eliminate 2nd OCI change method. Presumably Honda has good reasons for recommending it.

Just not sure its worth trying on my old mazdas. There have been a few times I thought the filter was stuck and I'd have to but I always end up getting it off that last try.

Quote:
but my lack of confidence in the quality control of oil filters.

I don't see how you're hedging your bets by introducing more filters into the mix. The odds are the same with each filter purchase of getting one with a defect.

Quote:
There have been a few times I thought the filter was stuck and I'd have to but I always end up getting it off that last try.

Please allow me this chuckle without getting annoyed ..there's a big smile on my face ..but would you continue to try and get it off after you succeeded? We tend to find most things that we want in our "last attempt". Now it may also be our first attempt ..but
21.gif

grin2.gif

I'm a confirmed extended filter user. All I had to do was test Ugly3's 10k PureOne filter and saw that it had below bypass PSID levels with 15w-40 at subfreezing temps ..and that those differentials reduced to next to nothing as the oil became more fluid (not long at all) and it told me that many users aren't getting their money's worth out of their filters ...without compromise in filtering ability

Last edited:
The amount of old oil left behind may be marginal significant but never substantial.The amount and quality of the old oil is of little significance considering the quality and type of new oil added. mtbf (mean time before failure) applies to filters too!If and only if you managed to get a defective one the consequence from the incidence from filter failure is more likely early on rather than later in the life of the filter. How many drivers with OLM's on their vehicles change the filter at mid life or later considering 12k plus oil duty cycles?

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Please allow me this chuckle without getting annoyed ..there's a big smile on my face ..but would you continue to try and get it off after you succeeded? We tend to find most things that we want in our "last attempt".

You know what I mean. :) Its always that time when you say "grrr, one last try" and it always works.

Gary Allan said:
Quote:
but my lack of confidence in the quality control of oil filters.

I don't see how you're hedging your bets by introducing more filters into the mix. The odds are the same with each filter purchase of getting one with a defect.

I am not hedging my bets at all. I change my filter every OCI. But statistically, the probability of getting a defective filter is the same. I'd just rather run it for 1 OCI than 2 OCI's when I get one.

Yeah, the chance is the same every time, but the more times you try the better your chances. I'm no statistics expert, but this one seems obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back