Honda oil filter - every other oil change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just replaced my 2004 Honda CR-V with a 2008. Long story, but basically my commute changed, and the manual trans I had opted for was no longer practical, so I got a good trade in on it and have a brand new 2008 CR-V. My '04 called for oil filter changes at every other oil change, but I went ahead and changed it anyway at every change (5000 miles). I figure it leaves less old oil behind, and there's nothing wrong with having a clean filter. Now the 2008 has the maintenance minder, and apparently it has different service codes for oil change only or oil and filter change, which tells me maybe Honda is promoting the same idea. Trouble is, the '07 and '08 CR-Vs are sometimes going for 8000 miles or more between oil changes, and I still can't think of a good reason not to change the filter.

So, is there a good reason not to change the filter at every change?

Last edited:
I change my filter every oil change.

Use a good filter, and in theory, you would be fine with filter changes every other oil change.

Some folks dump the old oil out and screw it back on.

Your choice.

Thanks Pablo, I'm just wondering if Honda filters would be sufficient for every other change, since I got some coupons for free oil changes from the dealer. My guess is if I use the coupons, the dealer will follow the maintenance minder.

I'll say it again: Changing oil and keeping the old filter on is like changing a babies diapers without wiping the poo off. I'm gonna guess that the dealer will put on a new filter. I believe the recommendation for the CRV is 10K miles no? Have them put on a new filter for another 5 bucks . And with gas at $3+ its a no-nevermind.

I get about a 9k-10k OCI in my '07 CR-V with the OLM. The dealer has changed my oil the last two times (free) and they used a new oil filter each time.

Thanks all, guess I'll cross that bridge when the time comes. If the dealer only wants to do the oil, I'll just politely insist that they change the filter too, and I'll pay for the filter if I have to.

Originally Posted By: Dave Sherman

From an ecology standpoint, the less landfills - the better.

Years ago Chrysler, VW and other manufactures did comprehensive filter studies. The data generated by their testing demonstrated that the filter became more efficient as run-time progressed and in no case was filter loading a problem. Based on that data, Chrysler VW and some other manufactures went with the filter change every other oil change. Yes there is a reason & data to back up the every-other-oil-change recommendation for some engines. I would just follow the manufactures recommendation for your vehicle and use an OEM or equiv filter (no one dollar no name specials).

Here's my take. First, when I reuse a filter, I dump it out, and it's usually only good filters I reuse. imo, if using nice new expensive synth that you will run a long time and presumably load the filter, no I won't reuse the filter that would add a minor taint to the pristine synth oil.

otoh, if doing 3-5k changes with cheap dino, why not resue the filter? Throw a few bucks toward a better oil or a better filter, a good trade, imo. Over a quart stays behind anyway. I never really found anything in a cut open filter, and certianly a new Honda will not load the thing up with dirt. Anything dirty is deposited on the front side of the filter anyway, increasing efficientcy. A silicone ADBV is a plus factor in the decision.

Not every application can get a $2 Supertech filter either. When servicing MiL's Audi, I drain that big filter out because any decent one is $6, some premium ones are $15 like oem Mann. Those say 2 year / 30,000km on the side, btw.

My take on this is the same as my take on the continually smaller sizes of oil filters. The automakers don't believe that a filter is really all that necessary anymore based on greatly improved engines and oils.

I still struggle with this. I remember when oil was trash and it all slugged up and when engines seldom went much more that 100,000 miles before needing extensive work. All of that has pretty much changed.

I still struggle with not providing any margin for error though.

I also feel that changing oil without changing the filter is a lot like taking a shower and not changing underwear. I kinda like the earlier mentioned analogy of changing a diaper without cleaning up the baby.

Pardon me for struggling with all this. The oil companies have been preaching how their oil is better than anyone else's and how they are continually improving for so long that it seems like they are calling "wolf".

Pardon me for still sticking with 5,000 mile OCI's even with synthetic oil and for changing the filter with each oil change. The need for this may no longer exist, but its hard to believe.

If I'm not mistaken, Terry Dyson recommends changing the oil filter every other change where recommended in Honda's.

I believe he has advised that UOA's and insolubles will be better on the second OCI.

Originally Posted By: Dave Sherman
I just replaced my 2004 Honda CR-V with a 2008. Long story, but basically my commute changed, and the manual trans I had opted for was no longer practical, so I got a good trade in on it and have a brand new 2008 CR-V. My '04 called for oil filter changes at every other oil change, but I went ahead and changed it anyway at every change (5000 miles). I figure it leaves less old oil behind, and there's nothing wrong with having a clean filter. Now the 2008 has the maintenance minder, and apparently it has different service codes for oil change only or oil and filter change, which tells me maybe Honda is promoting the same idea. Trouble is, the '07 and '08 CR-Vs are sometimes going for 8000 miles or more between oil changes, and I still can't think of a good reason not to change the filter.

Hey Dave, you answered your own question and with longer OCIs and you were changing the oil filter at 5k before and thought that was a good idea, I so as well and agree with you about doing it on your new Crv.

Filtration is as important as clean oil and I think Honda has been a bit pigheaded about this by continuing to tell us we can save money on maintenance on their cars by saving on a 3 dollar filter by only changing it every other oil change.

I do not know about CR-V and if they are a high head application but I can tell you my Accord V6 AT is and I change is with a cheap but great oil filter (ST) and don't think twice and neither should you think twice about continuing to change the filter *EVERY* oil change now that your OCIs are longer and 8k-ish not 5k-ish.

done deal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie

Not every application can get a $2 Supertech filter either. When servicing MiL's Audi, I drain that big filter out because any decent one is $6, some premium ones are $15 like oem Mann. Those say 2 year / 30,000km on the side, btw.

Because they dont offer one or because they'd rather use a $15 one?

The problem with leaving a filter on and reusing it for the next OCI for me is not only the contamination of the fresh oil, but my lack of confidence in the quality control of oil filters. We've seen many times on BITOG where filters have been opened up to show some sort of failure in one of its components. Now, do you really think a Honda quick lube tech is capable of detecting whether the used Honda (Fram) oil filter is capable of continued service during a 10 minute oil change? I don't, so I would have it changed!

I might wait for the 3rd or 4th oil change before I would do this.

Also, you could open up an old filter and check the contents. It is very likely that not much will be found in there.

On the other hand, it is OK to change the filter. 10,000,000 successful automotive lifespans can't be wrong.

Chris

My Acura also recommends changing the filter every other oil change and while I'm all for extended drain intervals I'm not leaving a filter on the car for 20K. Besides, a Supertech filter is less than $3 so why not change it. My last oil change I did Supertech synthetic oil with a Supertech filter, total cost around $16, and I'll run that out 10K.

Originally Posted By: Jim 5
If I'm not mistaken, Terry Dyson recommends changing the oil filter every other change where recommended in Honda's.

I believe he has advised that UOA's and insolubles will be better on the second OCI.

I use filters for two OCI's. Insoluables come back at 0.2% both times. WIX. 15,000 miles total per filter. I do not dump the old oil. Wear ratings are stellar. It's a waste of resources to change your filter or oil more than necessary.

Originally Posted By: Dyoel182
Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie

Because they dont offer one or because they'd rather use a $15 one?

Who? There's no ST filters for VW/Audi. All I'm saying is that I'm not tossing a $15 filter after 3000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back