Honda Oil Change Sensor? 06 Model Year??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok,

So I got my new 06 Civic EX mit der Navigation sytem. It's nice, and I really like it.

When I went to pick up the car at the dealer, the sales-rep showed me a meter that shows percent (%) oil life left(!).

The claim is that there is a crank case (or some such) sensor that tells you how you oil in holding up, and then tells you how warn the oil is.

Does anyone know anything about how and how well this little gadget works??

Thanks!

Gerhard

It's the same as the Oil Life Sensor on GM's. Keeps track of engine speed, idle, temperature, miles, etc.etc. and then calculates, in theory, the oil life. No sensor, short of a UOA, can tell you how warn the oil is.

Yes, it's the same "MID" system present on the 3rd Generation TL, 2nd Generation RL, and the new Honda Odyssey.

Think of it as a Service Interval Indicator, it'll indicate the services required based upon operating conditions. Its primary focus is oil life, which is calculated based upon a complicated algorithm. However, the MID also lets you know when a transmission fluid change, air filter change, cabin air filter change, tire rotation, and a few other items need to be replaced. The upper limit on the MID is 10,000, IIRC.

On the Acurazine 3G TL forum, most users are going approximately 5500-7000 miles before their first "A1" service, which calls for an oil change and tire rotation. The "A" service means oil only change, while "B" service means oil and filter change, along with inspection. The number 1 means tire rotation, 2 means in-cabin and engine air filter. Can't remember what the other numbers mean.

Hope this helps,
Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back