Honda oil--any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First post here, though I've been observing this board for some time--great forum!

Question about Honda's brand of oil--any good? Who makes it? Is it any better than say Penzoil or any other OTC high quality dino oil?

Thanks.

Honda oils did poorly in a M/C News test. Out of 31 oils tested the two Honda oils were at the bottom in almost every catagory. (TBN, anti-wear additives, anti-oxidants, viscosity retention, evaporative losses)

I wouldn't use Honda oils if it were free.

Honda motorcycle or automobile oil? I don't know who makes either, but I did do an analysis on the factory-fill 5w-20 of my RSX @5k mi.

Don't know if it's any good. But it's made by Exxon Mobil. Here's the text of a letter, found on the web, from Exxon Mobil.

/www.mobil.com/channelpartners/mn_network_news_detail.jsp?news_id=107>

Attention ExxonMobil Distributor:

ExxonMobil Corporation is pleased to announce the availability of Honda Genuine Motor Oil 5W-20 in bulk to our nationwide PVL distributor network.

As you may be aware, many Honda Automotive dealers are expressing a high level of interest in purchasing 5W-20 product in bulk. This is primarily because Honda now specifies the use of 5W-20 viscosity grade motor oil in its new vehicles. Several other OEMs also specify 5W-20 for their new vehicles, including Ford. Other major car manufacturers, such as Toyota and GM, are considering moving in this direction as well. Hence, there is a growing demand for 5W-20 in the automotive market place, particularly in the installed and car dealer segments.

The PVL Line of Business has made a commitment to Amercian Honda Motor Co. to offer Honda 5W-20 in bulk by May 1, 2002 to satisfy the demand from Honda dealers. As such, fulfilling Honda dealers' bulk orders is essential to maintaining our successful relationship with American Honda.

The Honda Genuine Motor Oil Bulk Program offers a unique combination of competitive pricing, an outstanding product line-up, and an unprecedented level of product distribution. The addition of 5W-20 to this bulk program is an exciting new opportunity to grow our business. Please note that American Honda dealers received a complete set of marketing materials describing the bulk program. You can order these Dealer Guides from Sales Support Services.

The Honda Genuine Motor Oil Bulk 5W-20 product provides you with an excellent business opportunity, and will help you to stay on the leading edge of high-performance, advanced technology lubricant distribution. Further, you can position yourself for growth, as the demand for 5W-20 motor oil increases within the installed segment. We believe distributors who participate in the 5W-20 bulk program should be able to quickly capitalize on other opportunities in your area as they arise.

Thank you for your consideration of this exciting new product!

Sincerely,

Marni Mirowitz
ExxonMobil, Lubricants & Petroleum Specialties Company
PVL Marketing Manager

Seriously, I would run either Schaeffer's 10W30, Amsoil's 5W30 HDD, or Mobil 1 10W30 SS before I would run that water through the engine. Mobil or not, the films are too thin.

quote:

Originally posted by satterfi:
Honda oils did poorly in a M/C News test. Out of 31 oils tested the two Honda oils were at the bottom in almost every catagory. (TBN, anti-wear additives, anti-oxidants, viscosity retention, evaporative losses)

Satterfi, do you have a copy of this test? I would be interested in reading it!!! -Joe
burnout.gif

I have hard copies of the test but I don't have a scanner so I can't send them to you. The relavent articles are Motorcycle Consumer News, Aug 2000, Oct 2000 and Nov 2000.

Here's my take on the test results:

Redline, Amsoil and Mobil 1 are top performers.

Motul, Elf and Silkolene are ok.

Honda oils suck.

We're talking M/C oils here. I hope the car people get better oil from Honda.

quote:

Originally posted by joee12:

quote:

Originally posted by satterfi:

Satterfi, do you have a copy of this test? I would be interested in reading it!!! -Joe
burnout.gif

They tested both MX4T and 15w50 (car oil). Each performed about the same except the 15w50 didn't hold its' viscosity very well.

quote:

Originally posted by dragboat:
Quote:
"Redline, Amsoil and Mobil 1 are top performers."

Which Mobil? There are two I believe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back