Honda Offering extended warranty. Confused by language in the release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Schmoe
Honda's extended warranties are pretty dang good. They cover every thing except fluids, tires, belts just about. Sign it, drive it until you hit one of those limits, sell it.

This is what I'd do. If everything has been fixed, I doubt OP has much legal recourse at this point anyway.

If you want to use your state's lemon law (and it qualifies), don't sign it and demand a lemon refund from Honda.
If you like the car or don't qualify for the lemon criteria, and are otherwise happy, sign it.

The release might protect your vehicle, but the statement that releases Honda "from any and all damages and claims" seems like it might be questionable if your health was affected by an accident due to failure of one of these repaired parts.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
Not a lawyer here, so take it for what it's worth.

1. This extended "warranty" is a service contract with Honda Finance corporation.
2. If you sign this contract you will release and FOREVER discharge Honda from claims against all the items they listed. Meaning, they are not covered by this extended warranty contract and you cannot exercise lemon law if you have additional problems with even one of these items.
3. This new contract doesn't void the original manufacturer's warranty. So if it still valid, you can use it instead of this contract.

Do you have more pages where this new service contract lists all the components that will be covered for 5 years or when you reach 120k miles? If not, then it's a worthless piece of paper designed to release Honda from all present and future liability claims.

Wow, I read it a bit differently. It refers to problems in the past and maybe current problems. It doesn't mean they're not covered, they could still be covered under the warranty mentioned earlier which we haven't seen. Basically this says you can't sue them for those problems, either in the past or possibility in the future if those systems go. Nothing about not being covered.

I assume that those items would still be fixed under the service contract which we haven't seen. I would drag my feet signing it, but I'd sign before the deadline expires assuming you want to keep the car. I assume your 5 years starts from the date you sign it.

I'm waiting on a reply call from Honda. Hoping they will clarify some things for me and also send a copy of the actually warranty.

Have them amend it to show the VSC details as an addendum.

You are fine sharing the document since the confidentiality only applies once it's signed - so I understand it. This is akin to seeking advice. Besides you don't have an NDA.

Keep in mind that in contracts it's too your advantage to keep things vague when it impacts you but be specific when you are protecting your position. That's exactly what they are doing here.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by WagonWheel
Have them amend it to show the VSC details as an addendum.

You are fine sharing the document since the confidentiality only applies once it's signed - so I understand it. This is akin to seeking advice. Besides you don't have an NDA.

Keep in mind that in contracts it's too your advantage to keep things vague when it impacts you but be specific when you are protecting your position. That's exactly what they are doing here.

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it!

Originally Posted by gfh77665
Honda rigged their odometers to read too fast, ringing up more miles than actual, to reach the warranty expiration mileage earlier than reality, to avoid warranty claims. They lost in court back around 2008, and this sounds like a similar agreement.

That is a big statement. Do you have proof of this?

Originally Posted by OppositeLocK
Originally Posted by gfh77665
Honda rigged their odometers to read too fast, ringing up more miles than actual, to reach the warranty expiration mileage earlier than reality, to avoid warranty claims. They lost in court back around 2008, and this sounds like a similar agreement.

That is a big statement. Do you have proof of this?

There was a lawsuit a long time ago that Honda settled.

https://www.autoblog.com/2007/02/19/odo-uh-oh-honda-extending-warranties-on-6-million-cars/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back