Honda Offering extended warranty. Confused by language in the release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long story short. I bought a civic, had a lot of issues with it. They've been corrected. Honda is offering me a 5yr/120k warranty as an "apology". There is a release in required to sign. But, the language is confusing.

I can't decide if this states that the listed items will not be covered under warranty OR I will not be able to sue or bring any cases against them for the parts listed.

Can anyone help me out here? All the lawyers I spoke with stated it would be $250 for them to review this one page.

Link to the paper in question. I've blacked out all the sensitive info.

Thanks a bunch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guess it's not so CONFIDENTIAL anymore.
I would be tempted to sign & run it on this 5 year/120k warranty.
Unless this specimen already has 60k+.?

I'm not a lawyer, but the way I read it is they're giving you the warranty in exchange for your right to sue the dealer and Honda, or to lemon law the car.

Originally Posted by vw7674
Guess it's not so CONFIDENTIAL anymore.

Yep. NDA is part of No. 5.

It does look like your current warranty stays intact. Read the last two sentences of No. 2.

I'm not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dishdude
I'm not a lawyer, but the way I read it is they're giving you the warranty in exchange for your right to sue the dealer and Honda, or to lemon law the car.

this is how i read it also.

Same here.

My question is: What is covered in the "vehicle service contract". This sounds like an aftermarket warranty they're giving you for free, NOT an extension of the manufacturers warranty. Most of these service contracts have different levels of coverage, e.g. bronze, silver, gold, platinum. Granted, it's free, and some coverage is better than none, but still. It may not be as great a "deal" as it sounds.

What kind of issues have you had? Do they make you not trust the car, or have they just been annoyances that could be chalked up to a bad build. Being that it's a 2016, isn't it too late to lemon law it anyways?

Originally Posted by 14Accent
My question is: What is covered in the "vehicle service contract". This sounds like an aftermarket warranty they're giving you for free, NOT an extension of the manufacturers warranty. Most of these service contracts have different levels of coverage, e.g. bronze, silver, gold, platinum. Granted, it's free, and some coverage is better than none, but still. It may not be as great a "deal" as it sounds.

What kind of issues have you had? Do they make you not trust the car, or have they just been annoyances that could be chalked up to a bad build. Being that it's a 2016, isn't it too late to lemon law it anyways?

It's unknown what's in the vehicle service contract. Could be the same as the bumper to bumper warranty. Or anything in between. Ask to see a copy of the vehicle service contract.

Sounds like the service contract (extended warranty) is only on the items listed after paragraph 1.

Honda rigged their odometers to read too fast, ringing up more miles than actual, to reach the warranty expiration mileage earlier than reality, to avoid warranty claims. They lost in court back around 2008, and this sounds like a similar agreement.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Sounds like the service contract (extended warranty) is only on the items listed after paragraph 1.

These are the items you are releasing them from future claims. We're these the items that you had repaired under warranty?

Was there an addendum with details on the warranted items?

The irony is that of you do sign, we'll never know
confused.gif

Honda is offering you a Vehicle Service Contract which covers your vehicle for 5yrs/120k miles (whichever comes first).

In exchange for this contract you will hold them harmless from issues which arise from the items listed. Basically allow them to fix it as often as possible rather than lemon the vehicle.

Honda Vehicle Service Contract = Honda Care fka Honda Care Sentinel 3/45 or Honda Care Sentinel Services*.

*You want to figure out which one they're giving you.

Originally Posted by WhyMe

this is how i read it also.

I read it the same way, but by posting it on an open forum technically might now be worthless. If they found it and could connect the dots to the OP.

Originally Posted by WagonWheel
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

These are the items you are releasing them from future claims. We're these the items that you had repaired under warranty?

Was there an addendum with details on the warranted items?

The irony is that of you do sign, we'll never know
confused.gif

These are the items they have fixed since I purchased the car. Are you saying that if I sign this. And any of these items fail, they will not repair it?

Not a lawyer here, so take it for what it's worth.

1. This extended "warranty" is a service contract with Honda Finance corporation.
2. If you sign this contract you will release and FOREVER discharge Honda from claims against all the items they listed. Meaning, they are not covered by this extended warranty contract and you cannot exercise lemon law if you have additional problems with even one of these items.
3. This new contract doesn't void the original manufacturer's warranty. So if it still valid, you can use it instead of this contract.

Do you have more pages where this new service contract lists all the components that will be covered for 5 years or when you reach 120k miles? If not, then it's a worthless piece of paper designed to release Honda from all present and future liability claims.

Originally Posted by DEEPfrom1
These are the items they have fixed since I purchased the car. Are you saying that if I sign this. And any of these items fail, they will not repair it?

That depends on what they mean by "any and all damages or claims." I would want Honda to answer this question, in writing, before I made a decision. Now, it isn't clear whether you're giving up the right to have those items fixed or just the right to sue or make them buy the car back and so forth.

A lot of those things are electrical, which wouldn't give me much confidence as the car ages. Also, "multiple warning lights" seems to give Honda an awful lot of wiggle room.

Originally Posted by Rhymingmechanic
Originally Posted by DEEPfrom1

That depends on what they mean by "any and all damages or claims." I would want Honda to answer this question, in writing, before I made a decision. Now, it isn't clear whether you're giving up the right to have those items fixed or just the right to sue or make them buy the car back and so forth.

A lot of those things are electrical, which wouldn't give me much confidence as the car ages. Also, "multiple warning lights" seems to give Honda an awful lot of wiggle room.

Honda did answer this in writing, that's why they sent OP this contract, which by sharing it with us, he already violated its terms and conditions. They will never spell out things in plain language, that's how all this lawyering works.

I highlighted the relevant lines. Looks pretty clear to me Honda wants to clear their hands from the items listed and not be liable for them in exchange for the service contract. It is a "Release Form" after all.

I wonder if OP got separate Terms and Conditions for the service contract or if this is it. If that's all there is to it, I would not sign this release form.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Honda's extended warranties are pretty dang good. They cover every thing except fluids, tires, belts just about. Sign it, drive it until you hit one of those limits, sell it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back