Honda OEM vs. Mobil 1 Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a new to me 06 accord v6, that I want to change the oil on. I have a M1 filter, but was reading something (probably [censored]) on a honda forum that the honda filters have something in them others don't thats better for those engines?!? Anyway, I was going to go with PP 5w20 and the M1 filter, but then I read that..
wink.gif

I'd take an M1 over the Honda. The Frams for the Honda aren't great, and not worth the cash, and probably what you'll get at a dealer. Even the best Hondas are at best on par with the M1/PureOne/Napa Gold.

In any car forum, there's always a "stick with OEM" segment. It's easy for people who don't really know what they're talking about to still get to contribute with little chance of saying something incorrect, by cheering "stick with OEM" at every opportunity.

Last edited:
I use either the A01 (made by Filtech) or the A02 (made by Fram) because they have a beefy adbv and on my honda element its mounted sideways. I also really love the honda filters because they have a different kind of rubber gasket on them. Its a round gasket that compresses into the filter when tightened. It comes off so much easyer because you dont have to crank them down to seal and if you do crank it down too hard the metal body of the filter will touch the engine block and you simply back it up a bit. My filter is hard to reach and see so any other filter is kind of a PITA to apply. The A02 also has an outie nipple that screws onto the engine. Some dont like it but to me it makes it easyer to find the threads to screw it on since I cant see where im trying to screw it onto. I buy them in bulk from H@A and they are resonably priced.

I use WIX or NAPA Gold (same filter) on my cars, darn good filter.

I switched from Mobil 1 Oil filters because I thought they filtered too good, at the expense of oil flow.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
I use WIX or NAPA Gold (same filter) on my cars, darn good filter.

I switched from Mobil 1 Oil filters because I thought they filtered too good, at the expense of oil flow.

Hmm..that's something I've heard said about purolator pureone's, but never a M1 filter.

Around here in Canada, we pay roughly double what our US friends do for filters. What I have found is that NAPA golds are priced around par with walmart frams, so I often get the NAPA golds if I need a filter and there's no sales on the go.

The Honda filters from the dealer aren't too badly priced if you buy 6. I just bought a six pack at an acura dealer where I bought our last car and I got them at street rates from fram filters. The nice thing about the honda v6 filter is that it's used on every honda v6 and something like 1/2 of the honda 4 cylinders too. Availability is never an issue.

Of course as usual I am off topic.

The newer Honda OEM filters have cardboard endcaps like Fram.

My favorites are Wix, Pureone, M1, which ever is cheapest at the time.

Maybe this question is for another section of the forums, but as I assume this car has had conventional oil for its whole life up to now, should I do a short OCI on the first run with PP?

short OCI on the first run with PP?

No, I wouldn't. Unless you have reason to believe it's all sludged up. Even on conventional, there probably isn't that much to clean. I assume you're going by the MM at about 8000 miles?

Originally Posted By: tmundal
Maybe this question is for another section of the forums, but as I assume this car has had conventional oil for its whole life up to now, should I do a short OCI on the first run with PP?

I know M1 suggest that you do a short flush/clean phase OCI if the car has had conventional oil for most it's life before doing a long OCI so probably wouldn't hurt with PP to do the same since it's a whole $20 and a good cleaning oil as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back