Honda OEM Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay I have heard these are the same as the cheap FRAM filters....others on Honda forums say absolutely NOT

Anybody know for sure?

Buy one and take it apart, then you'll know for sure. Post pics on your other forums and duscuss it.

Another thing, it could be that they offer two diff filters like Toyota does. GIYF
smile.gif

It was posted not too long ago that Fram makes the filter to Honda's spec. So I would said they have to be better than the standard orange filter.

I prefer the old-style A01s but the A02s will get the job done. They're built by Honeywell (makers of Fram), but to Honda/Acura specs. They use a silicone ADBV, and I'd say are similar to the Tough Guard line, without the little metal strainer at the end of the center tube.

I'm no expert but here's my take:

The 02A model of the current Honda filter is made by Honeywell. Honeywell makes millions of filters for all different types of vehicles. With that much revenue at stake, why would they intentionally produce a product that would fail under normal circumstances thus causing damages in excess of 500 times the cost of their product? If that question doesn't reassure you then why would Honda purchase (and sell) millions of these filters and install them on their cars? Honda's legendaary reputation as a quality manufacturer of automobiles isn't worth a $7 filter IMO. I'm certain that Honda has spent millions of dollars (maybe even billions) researching and testing the Honeywell filters and they have another millions of dollars in warrenty repairs riding on the performance of Honeywell filters.

All of which leads me to the conclusion that under NORMAL circumstances, the Honeywell filter produces adequate filtering for your Honda's needs. By normal circumstances, I mean daily driver, grocery getter, work commute driving. Now if you are operating your Honda under extreme conditions, prehaps you should look to some of the more extreme duty applications but for 95% of folks, the Honda filter is just fine.

Some will point to the fiber endcaps to support their claims but my take on the issue is that the end caps are present only to provide a base to glue the media to. The end caps themselves don't filter the oil. If this was the case, then the metal end cap design would be inferior to the fiber end caps. Now, you can argue that the metal end caps provide more structural integrity to the filter but if your filter is collapsing under normal operating conditions, then the filter is probably not your biggest problem. Also, I have seen threads where people have cut open Honeywell filters and found it almost impossible to separate the fiber end caps from the media. The bond is very strong in most cases.

Having said all that, the only reason not to use the Honda OEM filters is that there are better choices available often for less money. I just picked up 5 of the PureOne filters using the AAP coupon code for $3.00 each. I will be using these when my stash of 02A's run out but I would not hesitate installing the 02A if I could get them for $3.00 each.

Originally Posted By: mitch256
If that question doesn't reassure you then why would Honda purchase (and sell) millions of these filters and install them on their cars? Honda's legendaary reputation as a quality manufacturer of automobiles isn't worth a $7 filter IMO. I'm certain that Honda has spent millions of dollars (maybe even billions) researching and testing the Honeywell filters and they have another millions of dollars in warrenty repairs riding on the performance of Honeywell filters.

I'm no expert either, but MILLIONS or BILLIONS testing the Honeywell filter?? I highly doubt that. More likely they went to several manufacturers with specs and picked whichever one could make a filter to their spec for the cheapest price.

Why doesn't Honda just offer the Filtech A01 filter instead of two different models (and remember the A01 is, if I'm not mistaken, the filter that is put on at the factory)? My guess is that the A02 is cheaper for Honda to buy than the Filtech. They can then resell them for much more than they paid FRAM to make them to brainwashed customers who figure that because there is an H on it, it must be the best.

Last edited:
Quote:
....the only reason not to use the Honda OEM filters is that there are better choices available often for less money.
I look at the opposite way. The only reason(s) to use the A-02 is you just like/trust OEM and/or prefer fiber endcaps. Other than that, nothing superior about the design or construction.

With other readily available choices like the P1 for the same or more often (now) less money, and the same metal endcap design the high end filters use, why pay for Honda name.
21.gif

I have owned 2 Honda Civics and 1 Acura Integra, on all 3 OEM filters said "made by fram" on them.

I am sure they are made to Honda's specs, not your orange can of death repainted blue for Honda.

Honda has too good of a reputation to use poor quality filters. So I am confident the OEM filters are fine.

Just the like Subaru OEM blue can, it's a fine filter. Here's a standard orange can that came off a Honda Civic with 7.5k miles. I just opened it tonight:

fram1.jpg

It was in excellent shape, perfectly spaced pleats, and very strong as a result.

There are a lot of options out there if you don't like the Fram design though. The purolator classic or P1 model for Hondas is also an excellent filter. Here's a thread where I posed options for the Subaru. The first three pics are the oversized options for the Subaru, which are actually the Honda spec'd filters:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1855050&page=1

Do you, like me, wonder why there is so much hating on Fram?
I have used the filter popularly called the Orange Can of Death on many engines over the years, and have seen the same results you have.
No problems of any kind.
I have Frams on two of four current drivers, and I'm not worried.
Fram = Junk has become a bit of a BITOG legend.
Fram oil filters, in actual use, are probably no better and no worse than any other oil filter.
It may be that the Fram folks know a bit more about oil filter construction than all of us experts on BITOG.

Very true about Fram. When you open up a fram compared to lets say a K&N, you just see where the extra money goes. Also, if your driving a 100hp Honda Civic they are fine, but if you drive a 700hp corvette are you going to trust your motor to a $3.00 filter? I wouldn't. But then again, if you can afford the 700hp Corvette, you can aford the $12 oil filter haha.

I use OEM filters on my car as advised by my tuner. K&N's are used when i can't get an OEM filter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back