Honda OEM 0w20 (Idemitsu)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, because I was able to get it for $4.75 a quart shipped, I purchased 5 cases (60 quarts) of the Silver bottle Honda OEM (Idemitsu) 0w20. I know I have seen it is a good oil, but I can't seem to find any UOA/VOA info on it. (Thanks search engine) What is the general thought on this oil? I know it is discontinued, so, this should last about 2 years worth of OCI's for me in both of my vehicles.

Last edited:
Forget VOA: Tell you nothing on new formultaions. This aint 1980. If it is Idemistsu it will be the best oil you've run lately. The thrird iteration part number (Newer stuff) is ConocoPhillips, no? I liek the price I have to pay 7.65 a qt for the Idemistsu Subaru spec SM 0w20.

The following is a quote from Idemitsu that bluesubie posted in another thread:

"with the transition to the ILSAC G5-5 specification, most 0W-20 service fill 0W-20 formulations now do not have moly"

If the SM GF-5 Subaru 0W-20 is still available I'd stock up now.

Why did American Honda stop using Idemitsu and go with CoP?
Since it is an inferior product the answer is likely to save on cost.
Moly is expensive none essential additive.
Additionally, and I don't know this for sure, but reducing or eliminating the moly level may be an easier way to meet the tougher deposit control requirements of SN GF-5.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

"with the transition to the ILSAC G5-5 specification, most 0W-20 service fill 0W-20 formulations now do not have moly"

If the SM GF-5 Subaru 0W-20 is still available I'd stock up now.
I know I was the guy who talked to the Idemitsu rep
smile.gif
I was thinking that same thought regarding possible superiority of the SM, CATERHAM! Since I missed stocking up on an a wonderful 70's something vintage Domaine Deschamps Bourgogne Rouge (red burgundy) in the early eighties, I shall not miss a chance again after finding a truly great oil un the world of HoHum.
Ps: Sshhhh!!! Dont tell anyone
smile.gif

Last edited:
2vjst1f.jpg

Glad you were able to score some, too. It kinda flew under the radar when I posted it in the rebate/sale section.

Huge props to the guys at H&A. Ordered on Friday, got it today. The stuff was incredibly well-packed in a carton, and every 4 bottles are wrapped in a plastic bag, so if one springs a leak, no big deal.

The place I used to pick up my Toyota 0W20 was and all done with SM; with no info on the SN Toyota, I couldn't pass up this deal. I'll be good for the next couple of years now. They guy at H&A said they have "quite a bit left", though it says "low inventory" on line.

To Arco, yes, this is the Idemitsu high-moly formulation--probably very similar to the Subaru oil.

I have recently read that this is a synthetic blend. Is that true? I plan on using it either way, since I just bought 5 cases of it!

I am in possession of VOAs by Terry Dison of both newer Honda SN, GF-5 semi and full syn oils commissioned by another member. Since he didn't want to post them (don't know why) I won't either. But both oils have ~100 ppm moly and ~200 ppm boron. They look like good oils to me and since I'm using it for a new VCM Accord (lots of reported oil consumption issues), I'm going to use it through the warranty period.

FYI, the VCM has 5,000 miles on the FF and hasn't burned a drop of oil so far. I've never taken a FF this far but the dealer INSISTED that it be left in until the MM reaches 15% (40% now).

Last edited:
The CoF made Honda 0W-20's are decent oils, but they are not in the same league as the Idemitsu made product.
We're talking 1,000 ppm of moly vs 100 and a 200 VI vs 177.

Whats CoF stand for?

also The moly leads to excessive deposits on some GF-5 tests which is likely why it was reduced. In fact on some GF-5 Tests 0w20 were exempted from some limits for this reason(dont have a link handy)

For those looking for a VOA of the new CoP made Honda 0w20 I did one HERE. Blackstone messed up and forgot to do the VI measurement, but combined with what others know about BruceT's VOA you can get the full picture. Bottom line the old Idemitsu product is better, a lot better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back