Honda Odyssey Upgrade!

I ordered me a transmission cooler for the odyssey, it is a Hayden cooler. I might also take the filter out of the housing on top of the transmission and install an inline filter because of the hard to reach area. Will be installing it after I install an AISIN timing belt kit.

yeeee.JPG

Nice, I did a big cooler (IIRC about 11” square of fin area) on the ‘06 Odyssey I had. Also put one of the plastic Magnefines on the line going into the cooler. 100k of driving (from 132k when I bought it to now at nearly 236k with my son’s family) it’s been flawless. I used the Long TruCool that has a sort of built-in temperature control so it doesn’t overcool the fluid in winter.

I did the Honda recommended procedure with MaxLife ATF (4X drain & fill) when I got it, and change 1 gallon of fluid every 20k. It never hangs or bangs shifts anymore with the MaxLife. Good luck!

Nice, I did a big cooler (IIRC about 11” square of fin area) on the ‘06 Odyssey I had. Also put one of the plastic Magnefines on the line going into the cooler. 100k of driving (from 132k when I bought it to now at nearly 236k with my son’s family) it’s been flawless. I used the Long TruCool that has a sort of built-in temperature control so it doesn’t overcool the fluid in winter.

I did the Honda recommended procedure with MaxLife ATF (4X drain & fill) when I got it, and change 1 gallon of fluid every 20k. It never hangs or bangs shifts anymore with the MaxLife. Good luck!
Which magnefine did you use?

The older black plastic ribbed one with replaceable filter.
You think it would be a cool idea to have a mounted spin on canister filter? I think this is the best for longevity and less intrusive.

You think it would be a cool idea to have a mounted spin on canister filter? I think this is the best for longevity and less intrusive.
The issue is there’s not really space to get the spin-on mount mounted AND have safe, protected routing for the lines while keeping appropriate radiuses on the hose bends. That’s why I went with a smaller-diameter, in-line filter. I just zip tied the hose on either side of the Magnefine to contain its movement. I left enough slack to just remove one side of the line, spin the filter apart, and change the filter cartridge.

I had considered a spin-on but after looking at the Oddy’s underside I decided it would be a real PITA plus the risk of hose kinks/damage.

Back