Honda Odyssey transmission fuild

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Subdued
a transmission cooler isn't going to help a tranny with over 400k on it. An already sketchy tranny made it to 400k. you've been on borrowed time for at least 300k!

So true. He beat the odds already, so call it a day.

A 2002 Honda Odyssey transmission with 421,000 miles on it is a statistical outlier for service life to say the least, and is possibly a mileage record or very close to it.

I am aware of Honda vans having transmission problems. But I wonder if the problem is overstated. Those owners with tranny problems complain on the internet about them (and I understand... pricey repairs.) But the people with no problems whatsoever never say anything. That can make the problems seem worse than they really are.

I have a 2006 Caravan that is known to be an oil burner. Yet my van uses no oil. The owners with oil burners get online about their problems, yet the rest of us with no oil issues go on our merry way and say nothing online.

Consider Maxlife ATF; it has good reviews on the Ody board. Meanwhile, over 400K miles on any trans is great, but particularly on your model.

Originally Posted By: DeafBrad
I am aware of Honda vans having transmission problems. But I wonder if the problem is overstated. Those owners with tranny problems complain on the internet about them (and I understand... pricey repairs.) But the people with no problems whatsoever never say anything. That can make the problems seem worse than they really are.

I have a 2006 Caravan that is known to be an oil burner. Yet my van uses no oil. The owners with oil burners get online about their problems, yet the rest of us with no oil issues go on our merry way and say nothing online.

There's a lot of truth to that. But having worked at two different Honda dealerships and having friends in the business, the Odyssey transmission problems mentioned here are real. Is everyone who owns one going to have a problem? No. Are there problems with them? Yes. Do people join message board to gather information/share it/complain? Yes, and it can make problems appear to be bigger than they are in some cases.

Originally Posted By: DeafBrad

The objective situation is that Hondas of that era had significantly higher rates of transmission failures than average. I was working for Honda at that time, and yes, it was real. There was an Acura MDX that had 3 transmissions in 66k miles.

Look at it by any statistical reason, and the problem was ridiculous.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
The objective situation is that Hondas of that era had significantly higher rates of transmission failures than average. I was working for Honda at that time, and yes, it was real. There was an Acura MDX that had 3 transmissions in 66k miles.

Is it mechanical or design defects ? ..... or contributions from ATF specs ?

Originally Posted By: zeng
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp

Is it mechanical or design defects ? ..... or contributions from ATF specs ?

I'd say they were poorly designed resulting in mechanical failures.

I'm surprised that transmission went that many miles, assuming it's original and hasnt had a steady diet of Lucas stop slip...

I wouldn't change anything to this transmission if it is in fact original and working. Several of my classmates parents' had this generation van when growing up and they ALL had transmission problems.... Twas a shame since these vans were actually a good vehicle and dare i say "desirable" besides the tranny. And that 3.5 has one heck of a throaty exhaust note, especially for a minivan.

Funny story, back in 2010 I went on a spring break trip to gulf shores and one of my friend's mom was kind enough to lend us her 2003 or 2004 odyssey for the trip and it had just had the transmission rebuilt several weeks before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back