Honda Odyssey transmission fuild

Status
Not open for further replies.
421k miles (5spd)

I'm going to install transmission cooler kit and spin on filter for the first time. Spin on filter have never been changed and I did installed magnefine 3/8 filter on the return line like 500 miles ago. The fuild I have in the transmission is DW-1 fuild but lately it been acting weird such as; the only problem I have is I hear bang noise when changing from P>R and this only happens at night time. I was thinking of changing the fuilds 3 times drain&fill when I'm adding transmission cooler and new OEM spin on filter.

I want to know which fuild will be the best for this many mileage? I also heard that USA DW-1 Version is not full synthetic and I want something that has full synthetic I know Maxlife is but can I still use that or should I stick with Honda OEM dw1?

You should probably use DW-1, so that you don't come back in a month or few and report that xxx ATF 'ruined' your Honda tranny.

:-|

DW1 is good, and Maxlife is good too.

Your transmission already has a magnetic drain plug.

Change the ATF every oil change.

Originally Posted By: bulwnkl
You should probably use DW-1, so that you don't come back in a month or few and report that xxx ATF 'ruined' your Honda tranny.

:-|

lol; little did people know ATF is actually freshly squeezed mechanic juice.

Just pour it in an issues should disappear.....

To the OP, I would not install any cooler or any other stuff until the AT shifting issue is solved. How regularly has the ATF been changed.

I have a 2000 Odyssey. Google "honda transmission bangs in reverse" to see if you have the same problem I did (a bearing shatters internally).

Originally Posted By: Rohan
421k miles (5spd)

I'm going to install transmission cooler kit and spin on filter for the first time. Spin on filter have never been changed and I did installed magnefine 3/8 filter on the return line like 500 miles ago. The fuild I have in the transmission is DW-1 fuild but lately it been acting weird such as; the only problem I have is I hear bang noise when changing from P>R and this only happens at night time. I was thinking of changing the fuilds 3 times drain&fill when I'm adding transmission cooler and new OEM spin on filter.

At 421k miles, if no service has been done (spin on filter), that would be my first target. You changed fluid (added cleaning and dispersancy), added pressure drop (magnefine) and didn't change an old, possibly filled filter.

At 10k miles I pulled the plug from our odyssey and it was packed with crud. I can't imagine that spin on.

I'd baseline back to original (no magnefine, clean filter, older type ATF) and see what happens. Then change items from there.

At 421k, I'd expect the need for a rebuild.

WOW 421,000 miles on a Honda transmission? Is the tranny original? I have seen them drop dead around the 70,000 mile mark. Those engines are pretty good.

Honda transmission fluid is the best fluid you could put in it. Stick with that. No complaints here!

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
OEM fluid.

Is the noise from somewhere else. Motor/transmission mount. CV joint. Strut???

I need to change all of the mounts and might need to do that soon. CV joint can make bang noise?

Originally Posted By: SWS
I have a 2000 Odyssey. Google "honda transmission bangs in reverse" to see if you have the same problem I did (a bearing shatters internally).

I believe your transmission was 4spd? 2002-2004 had 5spd

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
WOW 421,000 miles on a Honda transmission? Is the tranny original? I have seen them drop dead around the 70,000 mile mark. Those engines are pretty good.

I believe Honda did something to the transmission under warranty after that no problem.

Why make these 'upgrades' with 400k+? If my intent were to extend the life of the transmission I would have done it in the very beginning, not dump money and time into it when its on the backside of reliable service. Save that money for a replacement. With that many miles you have gotten excellent service out of it, and I would expect to accomplish exactly zero with your planned enhancements.

I changed the atf fuild 500 miles ago when I was installing magnefine filter. While draining the fuild it was dark pink. All of this happen after I stopped driving on the highway I mean to say this was a highway miles. Now I'm driving in the city more than the highway. City= stop& go will kill my transmission I can feel it and that's the reason I'm going to install transmission cooler.

I'm going to stick with the OEM Dw-1 fuild.

If something as small as "driving in the city more than the highway" is going to kill your transmission, then it's dead already. A transmission cooler is not going to do anything, especially at 421K miles. Save your money for your next car.

a transmission cooler isn't going to help a tranny with over 400k on it. An already sketchy tranny made it to 400k. you've been on borrowed time for at least 300k!

Originally Posted By: Trav
2002 Odyssey automatic transmission.

You got that right. After selling them and listening to the complaints customers had with the transmissions shortly after buying them I learned quite a bit about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back