Honda Odyssey Touring

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up another scrapper, 05 Honda Odyssey Touring, loaded nav, leather roof, etc.
Nice body minor bumper scrapes everything works well, good tranny. 130K new tires alt, brakes and battery iVTEC problems. $200
Gonna fix it for cheap and flip it over a weekend for some walking around money.
More to come on the repairs to the engine.

Yep $200 purchase price title in hand. It has typical iVTEC sludge and actuator problem.
It takes me about 6-7 working hours to get them cleaned up and working right.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Yep $200 purchase price title in hand. It has typical iVTEC sludge and actuator problem.

That's one heck of a deal. Do you do anything to flush out the sludge?

Regards, JC.

Please tell us how you find these kind of deals! Seems like a JY would pay more than that. Heck, let me sell my 2004 Odyssey and I'll buy yours.

Around here yards are paying $200-300 for runners. Customers either call me to sell or sell them to me for scrap and i also hunt them out.

I see a car that has been sitting for a few months i knock on the door its that simple.
The first time i ever did that many years ago i snagged a 65 Lotus Cortina for DM50 ($20 US), it had positive ground system and someone jumped it and smoked some wiring.
I have been doing it ever since just for fun.

Originally Posted By: JC1

That's one heck of a deal. Do you do anything to flush out the sludge?

Regards, JC.

Yes i manually clean it and remove the VCM components to clean them in the ultrasonic cleaner.
Put Mobil 1 5w30 ESP or Mobil 1 0w40 after in them and they run great.
Its easy to diagnose these VCM and CEL illuminated and running on 3 cyl, its always the same story.

I'm looking at new cars now and have tried a 2014 Honda Odyssey. What's this sludge and actuator problem you speak of? Are there known problems? Is this car unreliable? I like to maintain cars well and keep them as long as possible.

How difficult is it to work on ~2004-06 Honda Odyssey? I've been thinking of picking up a used minivan so we don't have to keep renting one when family is in town visiting.

We get deals like that from time to time. A customer can't/doesn't want to pay for repairs, so I offer a few hundred to take it off their hands.

I'm really looking forward to many pictures, since your last thread on the VCM issues has lost all of its pics. Having one of these gets me interested to see the insides and do what I can to prevent any issues.

Thanks.

I had to change the pic hosting site, i still have all the pics.
You have a second generation in your 2013, it has different issues.

Originally Posted By: SwedishRider

I'm looking at new cars now and have tried a 2014 Honda Odyssey. What's this sludge and actuator problem you speak of? Are there known problems? Is this car unreliable? I like to maintain cars well and keep them as long as possible.

These Generation 2 VCM systems have different problems. Honda had a class action suit filed against them over this one.
I all honesty i would touch one of these things with a 10 foot pole.
This was filed in 2013, the new one is the same.

http://www.autonews.com/assets/PDF/CA913971022.PDF

Thanks for the heads up. I'm looking at a 2014 Durango, 2014 Explorer, 2014 Pilot, and 2014 Odyssey. They all seat 7-8 and hover in the $28K-36K price range. I really liked the room in the Odyssey. I'm surprised it has problems- it's been a top pick and best selling minivan for years.

If you buy one make dam sure you buy the longest extended warranty available from Honda themselves not some third party.
I don't know if they still make one without VCM but if they do that is the better engine.

buy the longest extended warranty available from Honda themselves not some third party.
I don't know if they still make one without VCM but if they do that is the better engine.

Since were in the market for a minivan at some point in the future, I have to ask... Why?

The AT issues are no longer an issue, and if it is 6-7 hours of labor to fix vcm, then even at a dealer, it's what? A $1000-1500 job?

Seems that an ROI will not be obtained vs self-insuring with the value of the cost of the warranty.

Maybe I'm wrong, just looking for insight.

Thanks!

VCM 1 can usually be cleaned up and continue in life unscathed. VCM 2 08- has piston issues and usually requires a long block.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back