Honda OCI’s getting shorter?

2019 Pilot. Vehicle specs 0W20. It has the J35, but GDI version. 5.7 qt dump.

I personally performed the last oil service in late March at 41,400.

It came by today for an oil change. Maintenance Minder showed 15% remaining with only 44,895 miles on the odo.

3,495 seems pretty short for a spring-summer run with 0W20, but perhaps the algorithm has been tuned to really take short trips into consideration.

2019 Pilot. Vehicle specs 0W20. It has the J35, but GDI version. 5.7 qt dump.

I personally performed the last oil service in late March at 41,400.

It came by today for an oil change. Maintenance Minder showed 15% remaining with only 44,895 miles on the odo.

3,495 seems pretty short for a spring-summer run with 0W20, but perhaps the algorithm has been tuned to really take short trips into consideration.

It does.

It applies a 2.5X deterioration factor to low temp short term operation.

Your miles and penalty actually ads up very closely to the theoretical max of 10K.

3495 + 15%=4019 x 2.5 =10047

This is a ideal situation for a topside changer and leaving the filter on for a second run (as recommended)

Screen Shot 2022-08-07 at 11.26.30 AM.png

Last edited:
It does.

Your miles and penalty actually ads up very closely to the theoretical max of 10K.

This is a ideal situation for a topside changer and leaving the filter on for a second run (as recommended)

View attachment 111512
That’s a great find. Where did you locate this document?

It does.

View attachment 111512
That's a great illustration!

It does.

View attachment 111512
Great information. Thanks!

Does the vehicle do excessive idling?

My daughter in laws jeep Cherokee oil life monitor drops very quick in the winter, she will sit in her car smoking weed and on her phone for several hours with the motor running practically every day
I have no idea.

The used oil did not have a fuel smell (I know this isn’t accurate) and was actually a bit low (3/4 qt low).

Does the vehicle do excessive idling?

My daughter in laws jeep Cherokee oil life monitor drops very quick in the winter, she will sit in her car smoking weed and on her phone for several hours with the motor running practically every day
Thats exactly the reason why milage minders are much better than just going by x number of miles. Miles in a car that sits idling a lot are a lot more and a lot harder run time than a vehicle that is all highway miles.

It does.

View attachment 111512

Great info. Even though I don't own a Honda I appreciate the info.

That engine needs frequent oil changes. My 2021 Pilot (same engine) showed an oil change was required on the dash at ~3,400 miles and about 8 months and ~5,000 miles later again. I don't idle much and it was 90% rural/interstate driving.

Nobody said that it hurt the engine 🤣

I know I wouldn’t have to change her oil more frequently if she ah, didn’t let it idle so much

Does that rig have an oil life indicator that you follow, or do you just do miles/ time?

Back