honda navi...engine oil in rear diff; is this common?

'22 honda navi; at 600 mile service I was told service manual calls for engine oil in rear diff...not gear lube (owner's manual doesn't mention what to use...unless I didn't read closely enough)...

my question...how common is it to spec engine oil in a rear diff? I'm gonna have to 'play the game' during warranty but I'd rather use gear oil afterward...

It really depends on the gearbox. Lots of transmissions and transfer cases spec motor oil.

If your final drive specifies motor oil, then use motor oil.

Many Honda scooters do this. My ADV specs the same in the engine and trans. Remember that little bit of oil really doesn't get put under much stress.

Motor oil should be fine in the final drive of the NAVI. But, in my scooters I will always go with true gear oil in the final drive. 75w-90 synthetic, no issues yet.
Doesn't gear oil have better anti-foaming properties than motor oil?

Np203 in my 78 chevy specified nd30wt oil. It’s an awd transfer case. Looked fine last i took it apart. If i can recall i think Honda cars specified engine oil in the manual transmission.

In the FWIW Dep't, I had a 1984 Mazda GLC that speced ATF in the manual transmission.

In the FWIW Dep't, I had a 1984 Mazda GLC that speced ATF in the manual transmission.
I had a Ford with the m5od and was the same, check the manual or ask the dealer. My dad's Burgman 650 uses gear oil in the final diff. but had separate fill plugs for the motor and the transmission which used motor oil but most scooters are just belt driven. I just watched a video on YouTube and he used the GN4 10w30.

Back