Honda MTF 21650 Miles1996 Acura Integra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a UOA of Honda's MTF. Analysis performed by ANA labs.
1996 Acura Integra LS 1.8DOHC
82093 Miles on Vehicle
21650 Miles on fluid

VOA/UOA both by ANA
Titanium -0/0
Silver - 0/0
Copper - 0/4
Lead - 0/12
Tin - 0/8
Aluminum - 0/8
Nickel - 0/0
Iron - 0/51
Chromium - 0/0
Sodium - 0/0
Boron - 1/1
Silicon - 0/5
Water - 0/0
Soot - 0/0
Glycol - 0/0

Moly - 0/0
Magnesium - 11/45
Calcium - 2652/3353
Barium - 0/0
Phosphorous - 1401/1910
Zinc -1564/2400
Visc@100C - 11.26/6.63
Tan mg/g - 0.30/4.00

Acura recommends 30,000 mile changes - Joe

As far as wear numbers go, it seems to be an outstanding report. The peculiar thing is the viscosity; the tranny really beat the crap out of that oil! It started out in the high half of a 30wt, now it's a low 20wt. The results of shear must be the reason a 30000 mile change is recommended. If the oil didn't shear so badly, I think much more would be possible. If you're interested in a longer drain, try a shear resistant synthetic, I be lieve an ester based oil like Redline would qualify.

the voa numbers seem pretty plain, no idea of what other additives may be in this fluid. I know it is great fluid to use on Honda trannys , works well, just wondering if there could be other additives that dont show up in the analysis. There is some additive that makes the synchros work properly with the proper friction level, not sure what it could be by that report though.

[ June 10, 2003, 09:50 PM: Message edited by: Idrinkmotoroil ]

This may answer my question about my Miata. When I changed to trans fluid at 30,000 my milage dropped. MT-90 Redline was the replacement. Milage went from 31 to 28.5 for my to and from work trips. Looks like trans fluid does thin out for sure.

joee12, nice results. I wouldn't blame you if you never wanted to try anything else.

I expected to see more iron but less lead. Are there lead-type bearings in these trannies? I don't know why, but that strikes me as odd.
dunno.gif

This oil, however, appears to be nothing terribly special (considering the $~5 per quart retail price!). I'm guessing it's mineral oil(s) (perhaps a mixture of Group II, II+ and/or III) with a heavy dispersant package to keep all the bits in suspension. Add in ZDDP (albeit a really good dose) for barrier protection.

I'd also guess it's friction modified to make the coefficient of friction suitable for the synchros. I'd assume this is done by the form of calcium blended into the oil.

I'm not surprised that it sheared down. the clashing of gears is notorious for doing this.

Bottom line, as simple (and expensive) as it appears to be, it seems to work well.
cheers.gif

--- Bror Jace

I'd love to see more drive train analysis'! Well duh, Pablo send yours in
grin.gif
and there is the fact that these (abused) fluids aren't drained too much....(as motor oil is)...

Manually trannies can be interesting in UOA - I mean,
crushedcar.gif
how many missed shifts = increased metals
dunno.gif

Thanks for posting this - I have the urge to sample my differential...or tranny now....

Tanks for da posting! Your tranny is looking good....

[ June 11, 2003, 02:56 PM: Message edited by: Pablo ]

"How is your Honda's transaxle regarded..."

Oops - "Acura's"...

[ June 11, 2003, 12:31 PM: Message edited by: LM ]

Thanks for posting this, Joe. This stuff is rapidly gaining popularity w/the older Saab 900 crowd, wrt to shift smoothness, reportedly bettering MTL/MT-90 in that regard. MTF wear is still unknown (for Saabs)

MTF appears to be a dino:"...a special blend of purified mineral base oil and chemical additives"

How is your Acura's transaxle regarded, in that, do the gears, bearings, or synchros tend to go first? Generally a strong tranny?

Wonder if it's possible to get bronze/synchro metal wear in UOAs?

TR3 - is MTL too thin for your Miata specs?

quote:

Originally posted by LM:
How is your Acura's transaxle regarded, in that, do the gears, bearings, or synchros tend to go first? Generally a strong tranny?

In general, I hear about third gear synchros going first in Civic/Integra transmissions. I've never heard about gears being a problem. Not sure about bearings. I don't think they're considered to be weak transmissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back