Honda MM question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know if the MM on new Hondas is calibrated to syn blend like the factory fill is or for full syn? Thanks

Factory fill in the states is a connoco Phillips from what I have read. Plus, I belive the dealer changes are syn blend. Could be wrong.

Either way, you probably won't see a service warning for 10-11k miles.

Almost all of the newer I4 Hondas that I've been servicing, are going more than 10k before the MM is calling for a service.

my MM came on at 8,396 miles on the factory fill. It had 388 PPM moly in it. 4 posts in and there is already 2 different posts stating 2 different oils are used for the FF. Lots of [censored] floating around the forum. I don't think anyone can say with 100% certainty what oil Honda uses for the FF, it changes often as oil and specs change.

Actually, it is not. It is Honda's syn blend made by CP. As stated in all new Honda manuals, it clearly states "Full-synthetic is not recommended... We recommend the use of Honda Genuine Synthetic Blend 0w20 motor oil." A friend of mine works for Honda and all vehicles are filled with blend from the factory, plus a helping of moly to engine parts.

my '13 Accord with about 20K on odometer popped up with 15% at 10K.
It had Mob1 0-20 in it. Shop I dealt with put Havoline 0-20 in and its now at about 7K showing 40% left.

Yes, it was really Havoline 0W-20 synthetic...I doubled checked with techs and they showed me the bottles.

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
my MM came on at 8,396 miles on the factory fill. It had 388 PPM moly in it. 4 posts in and there is already 2 different posts stating 2 different oils are used for the FF. Lots of [censored] floating around the forum. I don't think anyone can say with 100% certainty what oil Honda uses for the FF, it changes often as oil and specs change.

Doesn't matter what the factory fill is. That's not what the OP is asking.

It wasn't what I asked, but I actually had that question as well. Lol. I'm thinking of running a blend in there, esp in summer. And yes...I may run a 5w20 blend. I know...I know.

Originally Posted By: lawman1909
Actually, it is not. It is Honda's syn blend made by CP. As stated in all new Honda manuals, it clearly states "Full-synthetic is not recommended... We recommend the use of Honda Genuine Synthetic Blend 0w20 motor oil." A friend of mine works for Honda and all vehicles are filled with blend from the factory, plus a helping of moly to engine parts.

Must have a vision issue or a comprehension issue...Page 279 of your manual states: "Synthetic oil
You may also use synthetic motor oil if it is labeled with the API Certification Seal and is the specified viscosity grade." Also, "Use a Genuine Honda Motor Oil or another commercial engine oil of suitable viscosity for the ambient temperature as shown here."

My manual says :"You may use a synthetic motor oil if
it meets the same requirements
given for a conventional motor oil: it
displays the API Certification Seal,
and it is the proper weight. You must
follow the oil and filter change
intervals shown on the information
display."

RTFM, people.

Originally Posted By: LotI

Must have a vision issue or a comprehension issue...Page 279 of your manual states: "Synthetic oil
You may also use synthetic motor oil

I'm sure lawman1909 has a special owner's manual and he will happily post a scan from it to prove you wrong.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: LotI

You may also use synthetic motor oil

I'm sure lawman1909 has a special owner's manual and he will happily post a scan from it to prove you wrong.
smile.gif

Thanks, I needed a laugh. People these days.
smile.gif

smile.gif

All joking aside, the Spanish language owner's manual for my 2009 Honda Fit also says that full synthetic is not recommended. I ignored it and dumped the factory fill at 1,000 mi. and put in M1 EP.

Originally Posted By: Cardenio327
smile.gif

All joking aside, the Spanish language owner's manual for my 2009 Honda Fit also says that full synthetic is not recommended. I ignored it and dumped the factory fill at 1,000 mi. and put in M1 EP.

Uh oh. Impending explosion!

Well here's the skinny on it since I used to work at a Honda dealership. Every new Honda had atleast 6k on it when I worked there that had the factory fill in it. By default the dealership had two brands of oil they would use. They used Vavloine Synpower and Maxlife in 5w30, 5w20, 0w20 and used maxlife 0w20 blend for the new cars to eliminate costs. Then if they had a warranty issue they carried Honda Genuine in 5w30, 5w20 and 0w20. About 90% of the cars we serviced got Vavoline in the above mentioned flavors. The factory fill is a blend that's loaded with moly from assembly. I had 60% oil life left at 3318 when I dumped for a Fram Ultra 7317 and Mobil 1 0W20 AFE. If I went the full MM I would be at around 7k miles for my first change. From what I've heard the Honda MM is one of the best in the business but going that far on an oil change is something I'm not open to. However I am comfortable going 4 to 5k miles on Mobil 1.

Originally Posted By: Droopy
Well here's the skinny on it since I used to work at a Honda dealership. Every new Honda had atleast 6k on it when I worked there that had the factory fill in it. By default the dealership had two brands of oil they would use. They used Vavloine Synpower and Maxlife in 5w30, 5w20, 0w20 and used maxlife 0w20 blend for the new cars to eliminate costs. Then if they had a warranty issue they carried Honda Genuine in 5w30, 5w20 and 0w20. About 90% of the cars we serviced got Vavoline in the above mentioned flavors. The factory fill is a blend that's loaded with moly from assembly. I had 60% oil life left at 3318 when I dumped for a Fram Ultra 7317 and Mobil 1 0W20 AFE. If I went the full MM I would be at around 7k miles for my first change. From what I've heard the Honda MM is one of the best in the business but going that far on an oil change is something I'm not open to. However I am comfortable going 4 to 5k miles on Mobil 1.

They don't service S2000 ? The recommend grade is 10W30.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
Originally Posted By: BTLew81
I'm surprised no one has commented on my use of 5w20!
smile.gif

Why? Doesn't Honda recommend that grade?

I think the owner's manual recommends 0w-20.

They say 0w20 but dealer has an info sheet saying 5w20 is fine but 0 will provide better fuel econ. Took a pic of it.

Also, I'm thinking of picking up some trop artic really cheap and figure it should be just fine at 5k intervals, as Honda dealer uses a syn blend, 0w20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back