Honda MB5

This is a 1980s-era motorcycle from Honda. 2-stroke, 50cc air cooled engine, 5-speed transmission *with full clutch*, mag wheels (no spokes), sleek design and super cool. I am really surprised that this model did not take off better than it did, or continue the design (by Honda or any other manufacturer). Lots of people called it a "moped" but it has no pedals; it is a motorcycle. Not sure how the DMV would classify it but I'm telling you it is a motorcycle lol. Just wanted to bring this up in case anyone remembers these, and in case anyone who loves motorcycles has never seen one before. My buddy had one when we were teenagers, we rode that thing all over the place, just a terrific bike. Enjoy.
1982-honda-mb5.jpg

OH BOY! This where huge sellers here in Germany in the 80s. With 80cc and restrictet to 80 Km/h top speed.
For beginners, minimum age 16. Oh, memorys. :) The front part of the fueltank has a little compartment for tools etc.

I knew people who owned these in college. They claimed to have about 7HP but really made about 3, and went about 45-50MPH in real life. It was possible go a bit over 50, but that took ducking down into a very tight tuck, maybe even putting your left arm behind your back. They were really neat little bikes, but down on power. Back then, we knew how to make pipes, but never did mess with the MB5. I'm 100% sure a pipe and some port work would wake that engine up.

I recall one owner with a ton of miles on his (something like 50K comes to mind). I was amazed that a two stroke could last that long. But I don't recall if it was the original engine or not.

I always wanted one for a neighborhood runabout. Today, an electric motorcycle would suffice for such tasks.

That is one amazing example of a well kept MB5 bike. My fondest years were the 80s and this bike sure brings back some memories when the moped scene at least where I lived was an expression of independence and freedom from staying at home. The Peugeot mopeds were highly desirable topping high 30s according to its speedo. My Derbi was low 30s…and still have it stored in my fathers garage! The MB5 was quite rare and well over 40mph for top speed but not so affordable for the typical high schooler. I would no doubt that MB5 in the pic is worth more than my beater commuter car today.

Back