Honda leaving formula one

Yeah, that's a shocker for me, and I'm sorry to see them go. They finally got competitive after a long struggle with the hybrid powertrain, now KAPUT!

Kinda sick to my stomach at the moment. Had a dream last night about shoving a H23 in a 93 Accord,finding a Acura Integra Type R AND that he Honda Prelude would be coming back in 2021. Things were good til I saw this.

FIA did it to themselves with the supremely complicated hybrid MGU-H system. The same thing happened in LMP-1, manufacturers exited because of costs.

It also doesn’t help that the teams and FIA allowed themselves to go along with a formula that Mercedes had been toying with for a long time.

Honda North America is stayingwith the new Indycarengine formula because it’s a twin turbo MGU-K type system. With the spec hybrid unit costs become much more reasonable.
This same principle is happening in IMSA and WEC with the combination of American and European Prototype classes into LMDh and HyperCar top classes.
Motor racing is expensive, but trying to shoehorn road applicability into the formula is a recipe for disaster. Fans want noise, speed, and tangible fear, not quiet electric cars run on compact circuits at slow speeds.

Just a few days ago I saw a headline about F1 discussing salary caps on drivers. I didn't read the article so I don't know if they're actually doing it but it looks like it may be F1's turn to protect the multi-millionaires from the billionaires.

Sad to see them go.

I'd like to see Ford get back into it, or GM try their hand at it. Not many forms of "unlimited" racing out there, off-road trucks is one. The whole "Balance Of Power" kills my interest in many forms of racing. It actually makes me want Hyundai to field a Le Mans entry against Porsche, Ferrari, BMW, etc.

The greatest pure racing was never USAC or even F1. The group 7 Can Am cars made the earth shake. The racers were almost unlimited with engines and designs and brutally beautiful. I remember seeing them several times at Elkhart Lake, Mid Ohio and Mosport, Ontario.

Back