Honda Lawnmower has big oil leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
But I can not locate it :-( This is HRB215HX model. When I put the lawnmower on its "correct" side and swapped the blades, lots of oil poured out. I could not see any oil pan gasket bolts while the mower was on its side. The bottom of the engine is soaked with the oil. Last oil change, I used synthetic and now the leak has gotten lot worse. I have a suspicion that it is leaking from where the filler tube meets the crank case but unless I take it off, I will not know.

I am not able to figure out what is involved in removing that tube. So far, I have not come across any (free) material on internet which will help me track down this leak.

Honda lanwm owers are popular and many of you might have this or similar model with same type of filler tube. Would somebody be able to walk me through?

Thanks,
- Vikas

I think it is GXV engine. The lawnmower was purchased in 2000. The name plate on the engine says:-

"Engine family - YHNXS - 135AA"

I came across a website where they showed a leak from the filler tube but it was on a different make/model of the engine. What I do not understand is how the filler tube would develop a leak on its own. There is no reason for the o-ring to deteriorate.

- Vikas

Sounds like a GXV140, which is really 135cc.

There are three potential leak points on that side of the engine.

The oil filler tube just slip-fits into the block with an o-ring. These can shrink over time, or maybe it was defective from the factory. I've had these leak before on other brands...so I know it can happen.

The oil dipstick itself also has an o-ring...it's possible that this is leaking when you tip the mower over.

There is also a small 10mm oil drain bolt right under where the base of the oil filler tube fits into the block, and this has a sealing washer. I suppose it's possible that this has loosened over time as well. This would probably never be used in a rotary mower application, but in other applications it might be used.

I have never seen it drip when stored i.e. not on the garage floor but almost pours when I tipped it over the side. I am hoping it is filler tube. The dipstick itself probably does not because I do not find the leak around on the top of the neck. If the drain bolt were leaking, I would see the drip on my floor?

How critical is the size of the o-ring? I have bought a box of green o-rings from NAPA. Could I use one from the kit if the fit is "good enough" or I have to order the exact one on the internet?
- Vikas

Yes, I would think the drain bolt would leak all the time if it were the problem. I've never replaced that o-ring before, so I'm not sure what to tell you on substitutions. Frankly, for the small amount of money it probably is, I'd probably just order the right one myself.

It was ridiculously easy to get at that o-ring. A single 10mm bolt was holding the filler tube. The o-ring has shrunk. I did not have a spare handy in the box of the assorted rings that I had purchased in the past. For the time behind, I slathered some Sil-Glyde grease on the o-ring and put it back. It seems to have stopped the leak so far but I am going to look for the exact replacement. Hopefully local hardware store should have a 22mmx2.2mm o-ring is stock. This looks like a standard 7/8" o-ring.

Looks like the main seal must have let go. It leaks from the bottom profusely :-( I guess I might just try to re-power it with a HF vertical. A professional repair guy would charge multiple of the engine price to fix the main seal.

I am going to give ATP-205 reseal miracle cure a try but I am not holding my breath. Over the winter, all of the oil had leaked out. I am glad I had kept news paper under the mower when I winterized it.

Would you believe me if I tell you that ATP-205 cured it? If I had not seen it by own eyes, I would not have believed it myself either.

I found, with mine, that if I used the mower weekly it wouldn't leak out the lower shaft seal. If it sat for more than a week or two, it would leak.

Google got me to this forum thread, hope you all are ok with a related follow-up.

I have a Honda HRX217TDA (belt-driven self-propelled) made about 2007 only used about once a week on a half-acre lawn. Oil changed annually etc., lots of love.

Last week a puddle of oil appeared beneath the mower, several ounces at least. The cylinder bottom - where the fins are - is wet with oil. The wettest spot seems to be right around the joint with the cylinder head. Difficult to see of course, I don't have a mirror to look deep in there.

The oil filler tube is dry and dusty. Sure I tip the mower on its side to change the oil, but have not done so recently.

Engine crankcase still has enough oil - level is at the middle of the dipstick when placed in (not screwed all the way in). The machine runs fine as far as I can tell.

If vikas is still following this thread I'd love to hear insights
smile.gif
thanks in advance

Well a couple of things come to mind. First, How does it run? Is it smoking etc? What does the spark plug look like?
If all above is well, then it almost certainly has a blown seal/gasket somewhere.

Most likely the valve cover which is common with the Honda and that's how the leak usually begins , suddenly and a lot of oil . There is no gasket , get some good RTV type silicon , remove , clean including any oil , put a bead on the surface and reinstall .

I gave up on it. I believe it is one of the main seal which has gone. I could not borrow a good puller to remove the top flywheel, so I could not get to figure out the exact source of the leak. The mower still runs and if any BITOGer wants to pick it up, send me PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back