Honda HR-V vs Toyota Corolla Cross

I test drove these back to back today. What an eye opening experience. I test drove the HR-V first and I already test drove it last month. This time I test drove it longer and a good stretch on the freeway. It’s still the #1 car in my price range. I then test drove the XLE Corolla Cross. What a complete turd compared to the HR-V. It looks and feels like Toyota phoned in the interior. The whole interior reeks of super cheap plastic that they had laying around in a warehouse since the 90’s. Same cheap switch gear they been using since the 90’s also.

The HR-V blows the Corolla out of the water when it comes to fit and finish and materials. I remember test driving the new Rav4 back in 2019 when they first came out. I really liked the exterior styling but the interior killed it for me. I haven’t bought a Toyota in over 20 years because I can’t get over their cheap interiors. The only current Toyota interior I like is the Venza, that’s because it’s a JDM car. It wasn’t purposely built for the North American market.

Now the performance between the two. Both have a 2.0L 4 cylinder mated to a CVT. The Honda was smoother and felt it had more power. The Honda’s CVT felt smoother in all driving situations. Even with a real first gear in the Corolla, it was sluggish off the line and it was louder then the Honda’s.

HR-V

158HP @ 6500 rpm
138lb-ft @ 4200 rpm

Corolla Cross

169HP @ 6600 rpm
150lb-ft @ 4400 rpm

Toyota must be laughing all the way to the bank when people are all lined up throwing money at them. Their interiors are low rent compared to the competition. I guess the NPC’s still believe their past reliability is a reason to buy one these days. Their service centers always receive below average ratings these days. They have the same amount of recalls as other manufactures. I just don’t see it?

DAF44FF7-F306-45A8-A5FF-E1D4246AC313.jpeg

1DDFE9DD-5A2D-4AB3-BE08-C932F06BE4D7.jpeg

EE55D485-ED73-4376-A742-BD9765BDAABC.jpeg

7762C2BC-222F-4B82-82D5-B50559279C01.jpeg

C321160D-2E98-432D-AE10-3686A3479311.jpeg

0CDC6785-C038-4137-BEBA-5102520C2036.jpeg

Last edited:
To each their own, but to me the Toyota interior looks quite a bit upscale compared to the Honda.

The thing I enjoy about new vehicles is they're all seemingly on-par with each other for the most part. The days of absolute garbage seem to be over.

I own a Toyota and a Lexus - I bought both because they are reliable appliances. Their driving dynamics suck. Their interiors suck. They're both ugly. They get terrible gas mileage. That said, they transport my family from point A to point B comfortably and reliably.

This is the only praise I can give Toyota/Lexus.

To each their own, but to me the Toyota interior looks quite a bit upscale compared to the Honda.
It does look nice in the picture, but sitting inside is a whole different thing. I think the exterior looks nice in pictures and in person.

the only one worth considering of all Cross is the hybrid one; if you compare basics, i'd take HRV

Honda makes more refined/smooth vehicles generally yet on the firm side; Toyota I4 are all harsh in delivery of power

the other day I've seen '22 Cross Hybrid for $31K OTD price

I understood all this before purchase of a Corolla Cross, with all its utility.

Does the HRV come with Corinthian Leather or something ?

There is 214,000 miles on CC drivetrain here, with absolutely no buyers remorse.

Toyota would have to slip the V35A-FTS into the Corolla Cross (wouldn't that be a hoot?) for me to consider it over the HR-V. Can't do it with the current, groaning M20A-FKS.

214,000 miles on a car that just came out? How?
OK. You asked a logical question. I previously owned a 2019 Lexus UX 250h.

Of course that driving experience, fit and finish, all that stuff exceeds HRV. And I have had a lot more driving time than a mere comparative test drive provides.

Have a look at quality/reliabilty survey results for UX, and compare that to first generation HRV.

I don't get to play around. A mega durable vehicle is vital for my job.

We all have our reasons.

Of course that driving experience, fit and finish, all that stuff exceeds HRV. And I have had a lot more driving time than a mere comparative test drive provides.

Have a look at quality/reliabilty survey results for UX, and compare that to first generation HRV.

We all have our reasons.
Ok, so what I failed to interpret was 214k on the same drivetrain as CC not in CC. Makes sense now. My brain is on weekend setting, half cylinders. :)

the other day I've seen '22 Cross Hybrid for $31K OTD price
That is impossible because the CC Hybrid was just announced and will be coming out later this year as 2023.

We all have our reasons.

Who is comparing the Lexus UX to the 2023 HR-V?

That is impossible because the CC Hybrid was just announced and will be coming out later this year as 2023.
yeah I could be wrong then, it's been around 4mnts now; I was almost certain it was the hybrid model :cautious:

Back