Honda Gold Wing final drive oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to change the final drive oil in my Honda GL1800 Gold Wing, I have some Mobil1 75W-90 gear oil here and it has a limited slip differential additive. Is there any reason why I could not use this in the final drive?

The only thing I'm aware of that Honda calls out for the final drive oil is that it meet GL-5 specs and be in the 80W-90 range.

According to the Mobil website, the "Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lubricant LS 75W-90" meets "API Gl-5/MT-1." In short, it ought to work just fine.

Mobil website here.

If I'm not mistaken, GL-5 implies "extreme pressure" (EP) and that's really what's important. Synthetic or not I'm not so sure is all that critical. I've got 20K on my Goldwing using Valvoline Duralube I picked up at the local Checkers. I typically go about 10K on each final drive change.

Yes that is what I thought, just was not sure about the limited slip additive. Leaving in two weeks for a 5,000 trip out west and do not want any problems.

Good luck on your 5K trip ... safe riding!

What exactly is a "limited slip differential?" And what additive would be provide to address it?

Unlike the shared engine/transmission sump, which bathes the clutch as well ... back in the final drive there's no concern about friction modifiers. In fact, I would think with the hypoid gears you'd want as little friction as possible ... provided the gear oil can stand up to the pressure exerted between the gear teeth.

Been running Mobil 1 syn. gear lube in my 1800 Wing for 30,000+ miles. And Shell Rotella syn. 5W-40 in the engine. No problems.

40ford

I wondering the same thing, what is a limited slip differential additive. Same as what makes an oil energy conserving. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: GoldwingGuy
I wondering the same thing, what is a limited slip differential additive. Same as what makes an oil energy conserving. Thanks.

Again, in a hypoid gear final drive that shouldn't make a difference. It might even be beneficial, right?

You'll be fine. I'm running the Mobil 1 75w-90 in my GL1800 right now; have been for some time.

No issues whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back