Honda GN4 or Valvoline 10w-40 ATV oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any preference between the two oils other than price per quart. Any performance factor I would sure like to know before I change to the Valvoline.

Last edited:
I have used GN4 and Valvoline motorcycle oil, not much different. If you wait until Autozone puts the Valvoline on sale you gan get it for a good price. I would also go with Rotella 15-40, it is now JASO MA.

Between those 2 use the GN4. I have ran both with the Valvoline bike seems to run hotter and shifts are stiffer. That being said. I have been using Shell Rotella T 15w40 for 2yrs in a 2001 TRX350FM , 2007 CB900F7 , 2008 TRX450ER with no issues.

Originally Posted By: 87sammy
Between those 2 use the GN4. I have ran both with the Valvoline bike seems to run hotter and shifts are stiffer. That being said. I have been using Shell Rotella T 15w40 for 2yrs in a 2001 TRX350FM , 2007 CB900F7 , 2008 TRX450ER with no issues.

ive had the exact opposite experience, my small bike has had a steady diet of GN4 for 6 years, switched to valvoline Motorcycle specific 10-40 and the bike seems to shift better. I noticed no difference in temperature readings. I do think Honda GN4'S are a very bland oil.. better can be had for the same $

I have the Valvoline atv oil in my "new to me" 07 Rubicon now and will change it over to Shell Rotella synthetic on the upcoming oil change as that's what I run in the Yamaha Bruin and the Honda TRX 90 that our grandkids drive.

My son's 09 Recon will get the Shell oil when I change it soon.

I also run the Shell oil in my 06 Yamaha V Star 650 and it shifts better with that oil in the crankcase.

I be a firm believer in Shell Rotella oils!

Originally Posted By: GoldwingGuy
I have used GN4 and Valvoline motorcycle oil, not much different. If you wait until Autozone puts the Valvoline on sale you gan get it for a good price. I would also go with Rotella 15-40, it is now JASO MA.

I switched my '82 Xl500r Honda to Rotella a couple days ago after years of using GN4.
I am VERY pleased so far.
The old gal shifts much better with RT, and just seems less "lurchy".
There will be a couple quarts of RT in my shed from now on! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back