Honda GCV190 Mower : 5W30 Synthetic ?

Used 5w-30 more than once. I used my left over top off oil for this. After over 15 year the mower is still running and imagine not one written complaint.

I know for the GCV160 that 10w30 is the recommended oil, there is a sticker on the engine itself. I'm sure 5w30 is ok too it's just that they don't want you using anything heavier than that such as a 40 grade oil.

I have O’Reilly 10W-30 in a GCV160. Going to dump that out for Castrol or Mobil xW-30 that meets A3/B3 or Mercedes/VW specs. I’m sure my stash of PP/Edge would work too but that small engine could appreciate a little more ZDDP.

Going to dump that out for Castrol or Mobil xW-30 that meets A3/B3 or Mercedes/VW specs. I’m sure my stash of PP/Edge would work too but that small engine could appreciate a little more ZDDP.

Only sae40 with euro specs have more ZDDP...

....anything in sae30 + EU specs = "CAFE" here...

I have O’Reilly 10W-30 in a GCV160. Going to dump that out for Castrol or Mobil xW-30 that meets A3/B3 or Mercedes/VW specs. I’m sure my stash of PP/Edge would work too but that small engine could appreciate a little more ZDDP.
You can also run T4 10W-30.

Curious if those who own a Honda mower with GCV190 engine run 5W30 synthetic without issue ? ... I believe on a drain & fill this engine takes approx. 13 oz. of fresh oil - I usually have that much in various jugs after doing my vehicle synthetic oil changes (i.e. 5W30 synthetic) here in Georgia ... If 10W30 synthetic is better - then I can always pick up a dedicated quart of 10W30 syhtentic from WM and be good for awhile .
Changing the oil at the right time will do more to prolong the life of your engine, not using synthetic.

It's a small engine, you can run pretty much anything from 5w30 to 20w50 and it will be perfectly fine. The only things that will impact engine longevity with a small splash lubricated engine are the frequency of the changes to get the contaminants out, and keeping the oil level full.

image.jpg

Found this at the local WM. API SL.

Curious if those who own a Honda mower with GCV190 engine run 5W30 synthetic without issue ? ... I believe on a drain & fill this engine takes approx. 13 oz. of fresh oil - I usually have that much in various jugs after doing my vehicle synthetic oil changes (i.e. 5W30 synthetic) here in Georgia ... If 10W30 synthetic is better - then I can always pick up a dedicated quart of 10W30 syhtentic from WM and be good for awhile .

I run the RP 5W30 HMX oil in an old Briggs and Stratton lawn tractor. No problems!

😎

Back