Honda GCV190 Mower : 5W30 Synthetic ?

Curious if those who own a Honda mower with GCV190 engine run 5W30 synthetic without issue ? ... I believe on a drain & fill this engine takes approx. 13 oz. of fresh oil - I usually have that much in various jugs after doing my vehicle synthetic oil changes (i.e. 5W30 synthetic) here in Georgia ... If 10W30 synthetic is better - then I can always pick up a dedicated quart of 10W30 syhtentic from WM and be good for awhile .

I have a GCV160 and used either some Shell A3/B4 5W30 or some Total 0W30 in it. Leftovers from what I used in other cars actually. Change the oil when I think about it, but especially before winterizing.
I don't think these engines really care.

Last edited:
I have been running Redline 5W-30 in my GV160 for a while. No issues. I wouldn't think it'd be a problem with the 190.

The manual says it is ok . I have some in my Honda HRC mower now. Keep an eye on possible oil consumption , Mine seems ok so far.

Honda engine in the Deep South id run 10-30. but I’m that one guy who had a honda engine physically dislike 5-30 mobil 1. All my ope now gets 10-30 or 5-40, usually the 30.

m

Curious if those who own a Honda mower with GCV190 engine run 5W30 synthetic without issue ? ... I believe on a drain & fill this engine takes approx. 13 oz. of fresh oil - I usually have that much in various jugs after doing my vehicle synthetic oil changes (i.e. 5W30 synthetic) here in Georgia ... If 10W30 synthetic is better - then I can always pick up a dedicated quart of 10W30 syhtentic from WM and be good for awhile .
I think that 10w-30 is the recommended oil. Personally I run M1 10w-30 HM for it's 3.5 HTHS viscosity in most of my OPE. There is no reason for a 5w-anything for OPE in GA.

In my GCV160 Honda mower I'm using Pennzoil 5-30 Platinum. No measurable oil consumption .

Maybe 35+ hours a season mowing two property's.

No issues

Im in Connecticut and my climate may be diffrent than yours. But today it hit 90+ deg

CONVERT

I've owned all sorts of Honda engines. I've run synthetic in them only when I had a little left over from a car oil change. Other than that, they always got the cheapest dino I could find. I still run a 1991 Honda HS521 snowblower with the GX140 engine on dino 5W30. Never an issue.

Im running shell 5-40 in my honda gc160 ,no issues and doesnt use any that i see.Once i use up that ill find something else to use.

Would the 5w-xx make it easier to pull the rope than a 10w or 15w-xx?
Not at the temperatures one would expect to run a lawnmower. On a snow blower? More than likely. I had a leaf vacuum that would often be called upon to run at temperatures between 32 and 40 degrees F. It was a bear to start with 15w-40.

My power washer has this engine and I am running it on oil from a jug that is a literal mix of 10w30, 15w40, 5w30 and who knows what else. Runs great!

I have cheap O’Reilly dino in my parent’s GCV160 used as a pressure washer. I’ll change it out to M1/Edge/Magnatec next time I’m there.

5w30 yes not a problem, I have a Troy Bilt push mower with the GCV160 and that's what I run and currently has PP 5w30. I'd love to have a 190 just for that extra lil bit of power that the 160 is lacking.

Back