Honda GCV170 vs. Kohler RH265

metsny22

Hoping for some insight on a pressure washer. Looking at the two below, one with a Honda GCV170, the other Kohler RH265. Everything I've seen so far has me leaning towards the Honda for reliability and durability. I'm a homeowner that is just looking for infrequent usage so just curious on thoughts if the Honda is worth the extra cash. Thanks!

Thats a tough one... The extra $90 is kinda a big difference. I have not heard anything bad about Kohler small engines in many years. I also have heard nothing bad about Honda small engines ever..
See thread below:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/honda-vs-other-small-engines.308120/

If it was my choice I'd get the Kohler engine and put the extra money towards oil and filters for it. I'm guessing with monthly use, the motor would last for over 10 years if maintained in a reasonable manner. If you use it for two hours a month that's only 24 hours a year. I'm sure your hours would be much less than that. I'd change the oil every other year at a minimum, but I would put money on the ability for the engine to run on the original fill oil for many years without changing the oil at all. I wouldn't do it, but my dad has with small engines before. Rider mower (sears model) had the original fill for about eleven years. That motor (briggs I think) would not die, ever.. It ran perfectly for over 20 years, and was finally retired due to a trans issue. The mower was a standard size rider, and it was used for three hours a week during the warm seasons up in NYS.

Last edited:
I would usually urge someone to go honda, but in this case I would choose the horizontal shaft 196cc engine for a few reasons.

1.) The 196cc horizontal shaft engine is basically a clone of a honda GX engine with an iron bore, the honda probably has a aluminum bore. These chinese clones have actually proven to be quite good over the years.

2.) Either one of these engines will outlast (by far) the pump they are bolted to. When that days comes replacement pumps for horizontal shafted engines are a lot easier to come by and are higher quality than the vertical shaft versions.

I would usually urge someone to go honda, but in this case I would choose the horizontal shaft 196cc engine for a few reasons.

1.) The 196cc horizontal shaft engine is basically a clone of a honda GX engine with an iron bore, the honda probably has a aluminum bore. These chinese clones have actually proven to be quite good over the years.

2.) Either one of these engines will outlast (by far) the pump they are bolted to. When that days comes replacement pumps for horizontal shafted engines are a lot easier to come by and are higher quality than the vertical shaft versions.
This 100%.

i would get this one. The GPM is higher . i dabble with pressure washer a little bit and most of them the pump dies before the engine. they die usually by freezing or people leaving it on without water going through the pump . Never leave a pressure washer on for more than a minute without water going through the gun. also, don't lend it out to folks unless they know what they are doing with it. So many time i have heard " i lent it to someone and now the pump is dead" .

as others have said, get a horizontal engine . easier to attach hoses and see everything .

I had a Ryobi 3100 psi, Honda engine (with idle down technology!) with the vertical pump....biggest piece of junk I ever owned. Bought a Simpson with a Honda GX engine with a horizontal shaft AAA triplex pump. For a bit more money, it is a substantial difference. You can find these at Tractor Supply, HD, etc.

I have the Honda 160 version and its junk. The vertical pump didnt last. I replaced the pump. The Honda is running at 110% power all the time. The oil goes black so quick and burns oil. It ran M1 10W30. I tried straight 30. Made no difference. I think the engine load is just too much for a home grade Honda engine.

I have the Honda 160 version and its junk. The vertical pump didnt last. I replaced the pump. The Honda is running at 110% power all the time. The oil goes black so quick and burns oil. It ran M1 10W30. I tried straight 30. Made no difference. I think the engine load is just too much for a home grade Honda engine.
I think the 160 is just too small for a pressure washer. I have a GCV190 on my pressure washer with a vertical pump, and it has enough power, about the same as a 6hp Briggs. Even Honda's site rates the GCV160 at 4.4hp.

For some reason the Honda GC engines do not like waterblaster service.As someone said the pump will fail first,but not always with the Honda.?
The Honda GC engines have an aluminum cylinder bore which is good for lawnmowers. Pressure washer pumps put a high load on engines and really should use an engine with iron cylinder liners such as a Honda GX series or a Chonda clone engine.

The Honda GC engines have an aluminum cylinder bore which is good for lawnmowers. Pressure washer pumps put a high load on engines and really should use an engine with iron cylinder liners such as a Honda GX series or a Chonda clone engine.

..and that ryobi needs more GPM for it to be effective, the 3100 psi should have over 3 GPM. 2.3 isnt enough.

Love my hondas but that application using that engine/ pump combo isnt great.

My Stihl/Kohler is more effective at 2.7 GPM and 2700 PSI.

My 3 Kohlers are all fantastic.
The Stihl pressure washer,
The Riding Mower 24HP,
My 1000CC twin 20KW genset.

Do not buy either of those. the verticle pump models like that are a 2-3 yr service at best and then the pump will fail. Often the engine has an odd crankshaft that makes it very hard to transplant to something else once it fails (and it will fail).

I saw this Briggs 208 cc on a power washer and Briggs came out and said it’s for light duty residential use. Good on them to admit it’s for that.

BAC6535A-4468-41F0-8BA7-1C076866B16E.png

Back