Honda gcv 170

I have a Honda GCV 170 mower. It says to use 10w30. I have noticed sometimes it smokes blue for a few seconds after it has been off for several hours or days. It also uses some oil.

Would 20w50 or SAE 30 be better? Seems 10w30 is too thin.

Are you confident you haven’t overfilled it? It has splash lubrication. The cylinder is horizontal and the piston of course travels horizontally. The crank throws oil around in the crankcase and cylinder.

The engine holds 13.5 ounces of oil. I bet many people overfill these Honda engines.

I haven't overfilled it. It's right at the top of the crosshatches. I have been using GTX. Mower has 40 hrs on it. Change the oil every 10 to 12 hours.

Being in Texas and being an air-cooled engine I know it runs fairly hot. Mower runs great but after a few hours it does use some oil. Still within the cross hatches just the lower end.

Was thinking sae 30 or 20w50 would be better for the climate. It seems all the air cooled engines have gone to either at 5w30 or 10w30 which seems fairly thin for a very basic engine.

I'm thinking as sits depending on where the valves are at the time it turns off oil is leaking past it.

Your manual also says you can run a straight 30 grade which might be more acceptable for Texas. It might be possible that the warm ambient temp is allowing the 10w30 oil to soak past the rings and be on the combustion side of the piston upon starting. The 30 grade would help prevent that.

C86639F8-C70D-4B1A-81C3-55369D2942F2.png

Last edited:
I have a Honda GCV 170 mower. It says to use 10w30. I have noticed sometimes it smokes blue for a few seconds after it has been off for several hours or days. It also uses some oil.

Bruh,, there is a dedication section of the forum for lawnmowers and small power equipment. Just Saying...😁

I run M1 0w-40 in mine. No smoke, no consumption. Of course Canada is a lot cooler, on average, than Texas.

I went ahead and got the Honda oil. Anyone know who makes it? Also any analysis?

Attachments

• 20201107_155126.jpg
    20201107_155126.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 72
I run M1 0w-40 in mine. No smoke, no consumption. Of course Canada is a lot cooler, on average, than Texas.

Certainly true ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Interestingly just a couple of weeks ago it was high temps in the mid to upper 10s in the north Texas panhandle... And high temps in the low 90s near Laredo Texas at the very same time... An amazing 70+ degree temperature difference in just 700 miles...

What might be the air temperature on a day when you start it up and see smoke?

Here is a plot of viscosities vs temperatures. The daytime summer temperature in Texas might be 30 to 40 C. (86 F to 104 F). Its at those temperatures when the oil left in the horizontal bore is at the bottom of the bore (the bore is horizontal) and is soaking the piston rings. The typical viscosity of 15w40 is plotted as a function of temperature in degrees C. While the viscosity of 30 weight oil is not plotted you could imagine where it would go given the 15 and 40 grades plotted. If you look at the 30 to 40 C ranges which is a typical air temperature in Texas in the summer, you can see that the viscosity of a 30 grade oil would actually be higher than a 15W40. Honda approves 30 grade oil. A thicker oil would be less prone to seeping past the rings and causing smoke during a start up. I would try a 30 weight prior to trying a 15w40. :p

Viscosity of 30 weight.JPG

Last edited:
Back