Honda GC160 oil leak

I have a 2.5 year old log splitter with this engine. (Not to be confused with the GCV, this is the vertical style.) It has developed an oil leak over the last few months and I can’t find the source other than this weeping clear hose. You can see it collecting on the mount bolts too. The oil level is correct. Not overfilled nor has it needed topped off.

Any ideas?
BD63909B-6FFF-4412-B6A6-64B90B94B0EF.jpeg

My snowblower does this ! On mine the tube is connected to the valve cover and it will drip an oily condensation mixed drop when it has been run hard .
this is on a briggs ohv engine. oil level never drops so i don't worry about it

Yep, engine is being worked hard and blowby is venting out the hose. Look into an air filter box from another model GC160 that vents into the air box. This will re-burn the blowby gasses.

Thanks everyone.

The engine doesn’t have a throttle control so it starts wide open. I wonder if that is a cause too.

Always thought it was odd it didn’t have one. It’d be nice to keep running without it running wide open assuming the pump wouldn’t stall the engine.

Thanks everyone.

The engine doesn’t have a throttle control so it starts wide open. I wonder if that is a cause too.

Always thought it was odd it didn’t have one. It’d be nice to keep running without it running wide open assuming the pump wouldn’t stall the engine.
Many small engines are like this now for emissions. It's easier for manufacturers when they can set the carburetor jets for optimal emissions at working speed.

I don't think it's a good idea to idle these types of engines anyway. I was told a long time ago not to idle my old Tecumseh for very long. I would think it would be the same with the OP's engine even though it has a pump, less rpms = less lubrication.

I don't think it's a good idea to idle these types of engines anyway. I was told a long time ago not to idle my old Tecumseh for very long. I would think it would be the same with the OP's engine even though it has a pump, less rpms = less lubrication.
Not necessarily.

They often have minimum idle speed ratings for just that reason, to make sure the oil dipper is splashing enough oil and for adequate cooling.

I have a Honda GC160 on a pressure washer and I noticed after winter that mine was all full of oil. It turns out there is an oil ring for the timing belt shaft that goes through the block right below the valve cover that was leaking. It made a mess all over the frame. You may want to check if this is coming from up higher. Maybe it is just the vent though.

I have a Honda GC160 on a pressure washer and I noticed after winter that mine was all full of oil. It turns out there is an oil ring for the timing belt shaft that goes through the block right below the valve cover that was leaking. It made a mess all over the frame. You may want to check if this is coming from up higher. Maybe it is just the vent though.
I wonder since it’s a different style if it’d be the same issue as mine? Not sure.

I wonder since it’s a different style if it’d be the same issue as mine? Not sure.
Part #13

Part #13 is the o-ring I was talking about. You will see a shaft poking through the block right below the valve cover sealing surface. Check for oil leaking from that.

Back