Honda Fit Earth Dreams DI Nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's one thing to have a high performance car that invites an exciting driving experience.
It's another to have a "dirty" engine that requires you to thrash it on a regular basis.
It defeats the whole point of an economy car.

When I was shopping for a new vehicle the things I wouldn't budge on were: CVT's, Direct Injection, Turbo's. Don't want these on my vehicle because of how long I intend to run them. The only reason I accepted the direct injection in the Highlander is because it also has port injection to keep the valves deposit free.

Originally Posted By: circuitsmith
It's one thing to have a high performance car that invites an exciting driving experience.
It's another to have a "dirty" engine that requires you to thrash it on a regular basis.

I don't think I agree. I beat on my Camry and it still gets 30mpg. Occasional WOT isn't going to destroy mpg. Usually pundits point out that avoiding jackrabbit starts and high speed driving will gain 10% in mpg. Whenever I slow down and accelerate at a normal clip, it's about that 10% savings that they talk about. 10% is nice but it's not that massive, not for the average commuter (whose other bills dwarf the gas bill).

Originally Posted By: supton
I don't think I agree. I beat on my Camry and it still gets 30mpg. Occasional WOT isn't going to destroy mpg. Usually pundits point out that avoiding jackrabbit starts and high speed driving will gain 10% in mpg. Whenever I slow down and accelerate at a normal clip, it's about that 10% savings that they talk about. 10% is nice but it's not that massive, not for the average commuter (whose other bills dwarf the gas bill).

But my point is with your MPFI Camry you don't have to worry about problems like carbon deposits if you choose to drive gently all the time.
I thought those kind of issues went away with carburetors.
You have a choice. Drive it hard, or not.

Originally Posted By: circuitsmith
Originally Posted By: supton

But my point is with your MPFI Camry you don't have to worry about problems like carbon deposits if you choose to drive gently all the time.
I thought those kind of issues went away with carburetors.
You have a choice. Drive it hard, or not.

Yes, and nothing stays the same but change.

You still have a choice. You just run a risk that (potentially) you may need more engine work than not. Potentially.

I'll be your Huckleberry

1500 miles on my Civic 1.5T in a shade less of 2 weeks. My normal M-F commute is 100 Miles R/T with 99% of that highway.

3 fillups so far using Mobil, Sunoco and this current tank of Irving. Supposedly all Top Tier sellers. Next fillup tomorrow will probably be Shell.

Car seems to be a little noisier when cold but then again it could be this tank of Irving gas, I generally avoid Irving as I've had other instances in different cars where the car just seems to run rougher.

No complaints yet other than a cracked windshield a few days ago. May change out FF at 2k or 2.5k for either PP 0W-20 or Mobil 1 AFE. Thinking Fram Ultra or M1 filter. Very happy with the mpg so far. Each tank keeps reading longer and longer estimated miles remaining

Originally Posted By: CKN
The Honda Fit------the worst riding car in it's class.

My wife would have a "fit" if I tired putting here in to one of these pieces...

Certainly rides better than its Toyota competition - I enjoy driving the Fit, but man is that interior atrocious. It makes the Chevy Aveo/Spark/Sonic look like a Rolls-Royce.

Hondas do live for high revs, even the more norm-core models. WOT to redline once a week does miracles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN
The Honda Fit------the worst riding car in it's class.

My wife would have a "fit" if I tired putting here in to one of these pieces...

My wife has a 2010 Fit about to roll over 231K. Really has been a trouble free car for the most part. Engine is still quiet as day 1. We've taken plenty of trips in it and I never really felt like it was a bad riding car.

AC bombed out about a month ago, that has been the worst thing to happen to this car

I gotta say my wifes 2018 fit is very nice inside and out. My only complaint is that the center armrest is about 1" lower then the door arm rest.

It rides very well and has grest levels of grip even on the oem tires. Rides nicer then my Yaris...but that has high performance suspension mods so it doesnt really compare

Originally Posted by circuitsmith

Yup. You shouldn't be required to drive the vehicle a certain way to prevent problems due to a manufacturing defect. Isn't this why they do testing? I know people who own cars and live in the city, and the cars have never been above 50 mph. Kind of hard to redline it in stand still traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back