Honda Filter 15400-PLM-A02 Are these counterfeit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cannot tell if it is a counterfeit filter or not but I did notice these issues when I received them:

1. A broken plastic hole in the center of the oil filter on some of them even though they're suppose to be sealed.

2. The black color rubber seal ring is not solid black but looks discolored (light gray)

3. Looks very oily inside but I thought it is suppose to be dry looking.

4. A lot of scratches/chip marks on blue color filter.

5. Cannot find the "Honeywell" logo on the filter.

6. Poorly shrink wrapped.

7. Looks poorly made even though it is printed "Made in the USA" on the filter.

Originally Posted By: Helpme
Is it suppose to look oily inside? How come the (10) filters that I have are all discolored (light gray) all around the black color rubber seal?

It's possible the manufacturer spays a little oil mist on the inside to keep it from rusting inside.

Rubber will sometimes produce a light coating like you describe from oxidation I believe. The coating should wipe off it that's the case.

I cannot tell if it is a counterfeit filter or not but I did notice these issues when I received them:

1. A broken plastic hole in the center of the oil filter on some of them even though they're suppose to be sealed.

2. The black color rubber seal ring is not solid black but looks discolored (light gray)

3. Looks very oily inside but I thought it is suppose to be dry looking.

4. A lot of scratches/chip marks on blue color filter.

5. Cannot find the "Honeywell" logo on the filter.

6. Poorly shrink wrapped.

7. Looks poorly made even though it is printed "Made in the USA" on the filter.

Did you look at that link?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3317174/Re:_Genuine_Honda_A02_cut_open

I think its real...... it has the U5 stamp on the top.

I have seen Honda Filters from the dealer say made in Canada on the sticker on the seal then made in USA on the filter.

Tell you what.. You have 10 of them???

Cut 1 open and we can tell you for sure.

Last edited:
Ok, I get it. How come I don't notice this issue on the 15400-PLM-A01 filter?

The coating on the rubber might be an indication of an older filter that's been sitting around for a while, and/or it could be caused by the environment it's been in. Another factor could be the composition of the rubber, so the A01 might be different rubber compound than the A02. Many factors involved.

Can the light coating be wiped off easily?

Yes, I read the info from that link but how come the (10) filters that I have are all missing the "Honeywell" logo? I do have (10) of them but cannot open one of them because I am in the process of returning all (10) of them back to the seller. I opened up a dispute on eBay.com

Yes, I read the info from that link but how come the (10) filters that I have are all missing the "Honeywell" logo? I do have (10) of them but cannot open one of them because I am in the process of returning all (10) of them back to the seller. I opened up a dispute on eBay.com

They might be real... I think they are.

Honda changes stuff up all the time......

printing on the can.

But if you return them try to get the A01 on Amazon.

If you want to know where I got mine, send me a PM.

Ill show you.

Hope that is allowed.

I have nothing to do with it.. just trying to help this guy get the best

Yes, I read the info from that link but how come the (10) filters that I have are all missing the "Honeywell" logo?

Honda filters are and have been made by a number of companies - Fram, Filtech, Toyo Roki, Tennex, and others. Here are a few from years ago:

Three Honda Filters

Filtech, Honeywell, Toyo Riki

and here's another discussion:

Various Honda Filters

What you have there is a Honeywell as evidenced by the distinctive shape of the base plate stamping. Counterfeiters don't go to that level of detail.

Filtechs have a diamond-shaped logo stamped on the base plate.

I've seen the light grey coating on the gaskets of other brands of filters...I assumed it was some sort of dry lubricant. Maybe put there to help keep the gaskets from sticking to the installation machinery at the factory...
confused2.gif

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Maybe put there to help keep the gaskets from sticking to the installation machinery at the factory...
confused2.gif

That is exactly what it is; mold release agent. It is not uncommon to see this light powdery coating on new rubber parts.

As a former eBay seller, you were 100% in the wrong to open an eBay dispute. You ordered Honda A02's and that is exactly what you got. You received a serviceable filter. Close the dispute and move on.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the knowledgeable advice from this topic. I was referencing this link:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3317174/Re:_Genuine_Honda_A02_cut_open

and notice the "Honeywell" logo but his filter - Made in Canada and the filters that I have are all missing the "Honeywell" logo and is this because all of them are Made in the U.S.A.?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bubbatime

As a former eBay seller, you were 100% in the wrong to open an eBay dispute. You ordered Honda A02's and that is exactly what you got. You received a serviceable filter. Close the dispute and move on.

He thinks they are Clones.... If you bought something on ebay and totally felt they were clones , what would you do?

However I have said from start that they look real.

However he is confident they are clones.

Now he could drive to a Honda Dealer and have them look at the filters and they would know if they are real or Clones.

Strange it dont say Honeywell on them..

I have never seen a A02 not say Honeywell on them.

but hey, other then that they look legit. but they are pics.

Could you guys please check your A02's and inform me if you're missing a "Honeywell" logo on the filter or am I the only person out there?

Last edited:
Could you guys please check your A02's and inform me if you're missing a "Honeywell" logo on the filter or am I the only person out there?

I don't have any A02's but just because it doesn't say Honeywell on them doesn't automatically make them "counterfeit". Honeywell no longer owns Fram and the plant in Canada that made the A02 is closed (since ~2012). The A02 is now made in the US still by Fram, but now under new owner Rank Group.

'Based on what I can see in your pics', they 'look' to be authentic Honda A02's. Forget about the fact that they don't say "Honeywell" as that is now irrelevant because the newest Honda A02 is made in the US.

I think they are real.... However he feels they are not. I mean I cant change his mind.

Think about it... If you felt you bought somthing off ebay and you felt it was fake.. what would you do?

Also can you post some more pics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back