Honda FF 0w-20, 2012 Honda Fit, 11348 mi OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the first OC/UOA on the Fit. I took it down to 10% on the Maintenance Minder. 15% came at 10,154mi. I know the high wear metals and silicon are due to the break-in, but any other interesting stuff here or comments? I replaced the oil with Mobil 1 0w-20 and a Wix filter.

MGxwX.jpg

Code:
OIL Honda Factory Fill 0w-20

MILES IN USE 11,348

MILES 11,348

SAMPLE TAKEN 9/13/12

ALUMINUM 11

CHROMIUM 0

IRON 29

COPPER 21

LEAD 0

TIN 0

MOLYBDENUM 680

NICKEL 1

MANGANESE 4

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 5

BORON 212

SILICON 53

SODIUM 16

CALCIUM 2097

MAGNESIUM 15

PHOSPHORUS 760

ZINC 858

BARIUM 6

SUS VIS 210ºF 48.7

cSt @ 212ºF 6.87

FLASHPOINT ºF 375

FUEL% 0.5

ANTIFREEZE% 0.0

WATER% 0.0

INSOLUBLES% 0.2

TBN 2.3

Blackstone comments: Thanks for the notes. High wear and silicon are common finds in new engines. The metal is from new parts wearing in and silicon is from factory sealers and sand-casted parts. It normally takes two or three oil changes to wash
that stuff out, but the engine should look like universal averages soon. Those show typical wear levels for this type of engine after about 5,700 miles on the oil. Fuel dilution of 0.5% is just from normal use and not harmful. The TBN was 2.3 showing some active additive left; less than 1.0 is low. Try 13,000 miles on the next oil.

I'd be happy with that after 11,000 miles on the factory fill. Those L-series engines in the Fits seem to continue the tradition at Honda for building 4-cylinder engines that are very easy on the oil.

Excellent results. Wear metals are low considering break-in and low in general actually. Tbn has some life left too. Very nice.

Love it.
Honda engines are great, but I think the Fit takes the cake for best wearing engine, from the results I've seen. The K24 is up there, with the R18 also.

I'll be interested to see your UOA with the M1. I'm on my factory fill (0W-20) with the Mazda and I plan to run it for the full 7,500 miles, put in M1 AFE, and THEN get a UOA at 15,000 miles. The 2.0L Skyactive engine employs multiple friction reduction features so it ought to be pretty easy on its oil. The factory fill is synthetic, of course, being 0W-20. I guess we all know that color is not super meaningful, but the oil has barely darkened in 4,500 miles and still reads at the upper level hole on the dipstick. I have a quart of M1 on hand just in case I need to add anything.

Originally Posted By: buster
It would take 3 years for a GM V8 to show this low wear.
grin.gif

True! But this engine would take 3 years to propel this car from 0-60, so I'm glad I've got my GM V8!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Patman
Originally Posted By: buster
It would take 3 years for a GM V8 to show this low wear.
grin.gif

True! But this engine would take 3 years to propel this car from 0-60, so I'm glad I've got my GM V8!
wink.gif

Good point! HAAAA
lol.gif
cheers3.gif

Excellent report! Low insols, tbn left, break-in metals are low. Impressive little engine.

Thank you for sharing this. I really tried, but just could not wait until the maintenance minder told me to do my first change. I waited 6 months and 5500 miles before I caved. Anyways, I worked for a Honda dealer for a while and these cars had zero issues, even when abused lol. I changed oil with Mobil 1 0w20, primarily due to cost and availabilty.

This little 4-banger s super easy on oil and a great candidate for extended OCIs. For comparison, my Honda VCM V6 had 258 ppm Cu after 6300 miles and still had 99 ppm after the second OC at 12,700. TBNs were both at 2.0.

Originally Posted By: gonefishing
Would the high moly levels be from the add pack or wear from moly coated engine components?

The latter. Honda actually made a public announcement for the '11 MY that all 4&6 cyl engines received new oil control rings and "moly impregnated piston skirts". This was thought to be a fix for the mounting VCM 6 issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back