Honda Factory A01 ~5800 mi. PICS

Status
Not open for further replies.
As title says, factory Filtech A01 run 1 year which turned out to be 50% MM. No different than the A01 that can be purchased. For comparison thought I'd check some purchase prices. H&A and ebay pack of 6 ~ $6.50 each. Even with sale at H&A on filters and shipping ~$40 6 pack. At the time I was looking ebay had the Pro FPS7317 Synthetic, XG/Ultra equivalent 6 pack for ~26 iirc, they're gone now. Don't like to buy that many filters and store with OC's around a year now. Secondarily, combine that with the data points on OEM efficiency no reason for me to chase them.

Silicone adbv was flexible though filter didn't seem to have much oil left after base down drain period, then opening inlet holes. Don't think adbv compromised, no start up rattle/noise. I have another theory but since no related issues noted not important. Replaced with Napa Gold 7356 and filled with M1 0w20 AFE.

c934ce75-e669-462e-b711-a66a4c7b91f8.jpg

c7330190-7416-43de-98bf-91259d11dc57.jpg

7be79d93-d7de-403c-b46c-c18a2e952f2e.jpg

f44b9604-9896-4061-b0af-8a5aa36f4599.jpg

I've always wondered how that design of filter with no caps keeps unfiltered oil from passing between the pleats. They must be glued? Is that reliably going to seal?

Filter looks great other than that question. Media looks very thick.

I see the factory filters have nice big round holes in the center tube for great oil flow.. They should all be made like this in my opinion.

Looks good.. The Filtech pcx-004 was a fave filter on my Rogue 2.5L. though costly.

The last Gonher ( spec for Nissan TITAN V8) I TOOK OFF has a fauly ADBV that was flexed OPEN so I could easily pour out the filter contents. In a panic I was at Walmart and got a Fram Toughguard for Nissan Titan which other than a strange engine buzz at 2K rpm ( which wasn't there previously) seems to provide grat cold start. I amended the lost Magnetec 5w30 with a pint of 5w20 synthetic - now the VVT works as it should .

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cmlind
I've always wondered how that design of filter with no caps keeps unfiltered oil from passing between the pleats. They must be glued? Is that reliably going to seal?

To my understanding, the term for this is "pocket pleating", where the edges of each pleat are hot-melted together to form a "pocket" through which the fluid cannot pass. The oil will pass through the filter media (obviously), but not through the glued/melted pocket at the ends. This is a very common construction in cartridge filters, which often have no physical end caps (at least not that are the same diameter as the media).

Interesting design on the dome end spring to keep the guts tight. Nice felt ring seal also.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: cmlind

To my understanding, the term for this is "pocket pleating", where the edges of each pleat are hot-melted together to form a "pocket" through which the fluid cannot pass. The oil will pass through the filter media (obviously), but not through the glued/melted pocket at the ends. This is a very common construction in cartridge filters, which often have no physical end caps (at least not that are the same diameter as the media).

I'm uneasy about that style, I prefer an endcap (fiber, metal, whatever). Seems like these could fail easier or at least be more possible points of failure rather than just plopping a big old endcap with a bunch of potting material.

When I ordered my most recent batch of oil filters from the Honda dealership they sent me all A01's, I wish they were A02's which probably sounds insane to people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back