Honda engine doesn’t seem to run right

Found this generator on Craig list. North Star 5500 PPG. Vary nice, garage kept. I fired it up this evening for the first time, put a space heater on it. Seems to be missing. What should I do?
It's normally 98 percent fuel related, 2 percent plug related. Pull the carb and clean it up, and yes, certainly pull the air filter to see if it's hopelessly plugged up.

Looks like my next step is to clean the carburetor. What are the areas that I need to get cleaned? Any good videos on assembling a disassembly. Looks like I have to remove a screw to get to the idle jet. Is that screw an adjustment for carburetor? How would I readjust when put back together.

Looks like my next step is to clean the carburetor. What are the areas that I need to get cleaned? Any good videos on assembling a disassembly. Looks like I have to remove a screw to get to the idle jet. Is that screw an adjustment for carburetor? How would I readjust when put back together.
Watch a few YouTube videos on cleaning small engine carbs. They're all very similar. Probably a tiny jet hole is clogged. Take your time, keep track of what went where, and you'll be fine.

Watch a few YouTube videos on cleaning small engine carbs. They're all very similar. Probably a tiny jet hole is clogged. Take your time, keep track of what went where, and you'll be fine.
Do you know if taking apart the idle jet would be messing with the adjustment?

The only thing adjustable on these carbs is the low stop screw, which does need to be removed to reach the idle jet.

It is simple to readjust. The procedure is: Warm up the engine and run it with no load. Pull on the linkage so the throttle plate lever touches the screw. The engine will slow down from governed speed. Adjust the screw to get a steady low rpm, high enough to not stall.

I find that an iridium plug with a thin tip works well with even gas thats been sitting around for ages

Get some non-ethanol.I shutoff my generator by turning off the fuel supply. Did this 5 yrs between hurricanes, started first pull with the 5 year old gasoline.

The only thing adjustable on these carbs is the low stop screw, which does need to be removed to reach the idle jet.

It is simple to readjust. The procedure is: Warm up the engine and run it with no load. Pull on the linkage so the throttle plate lever touches the screw. The engine will slow down from governed speed. Adjust the screw to get a steady low rpm, high enough to not stall.
I have did a carb cleaning on Saturday. Didn’t read your post. But didn’t realize that screw did any adjustment. But she ran good afterwards. Does that idle jet do anything if the engine doesn’t run with no load?

My Honda 160 is 15 years old. Did the proper maintenance every year. Till recently it would
only run with the choke open. Pulled the bowl for the first time and it had crud in it. Cleaned it and now runs like a champ.

Back