Honda Element trans service-"old" Redline D4 OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all...I just bought a 2008 Honda Element EX AWD. The vehicle is in great shape and runs well...one owner with a fair amount of maintenance history. At 87,000 miles it has only had 2 drain and fills for the transmission. I plan to do 3 back-to-back drain and fills as well as replace the inline filter by the radiator. Recommendations for fluid on Honda transmissions are all over the place (DW-1, Valvoline ML and Amsoil being the most popular). I have an unopened gallon of Redline D4 in the garage...been sitting there for 2 or 3 years. It' s been subjected to fluctuating temperatures (I live in extreme northern Michigan with temps. frequently below zero in the winter...garage tends to stay about 20 degrees warmer than outside). I'm assuming it's still OK and pricing on the D4 is pretty good (would need to purchase 2 more gallons). I ran this in my old 1996 Accord with a bottle of Lubegard black and it worked great. Any problem with using up that stored bottle? I want to proceed with this service soon...second choice for me would be MaxLife.

A sealed container has a looooong shelf life. Should be fine. Redline is good stuff.
FYI, I use Idemitsu DW-1 equivalent in my Acuras. And the Toyota WS equivalent in the GS.

Your Element will thank you.

Just do another drain-and-fill but use the Redline. No need to do multiples if it's already had (2) done in 87k miles. If you do a 3rd one now, that's averaging out to one every 30k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back