Honda EB2200X - Running after 20 years in storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Run

All I can say is they don't make them like this anymore. This is my friend's generator. It has sat locked away in a shed for decades. Finally he dug it out and asked me to take a look at it. Thank god he didn't try to start it right away. The oil had turned to sludge. I never seen anything like it in person. I seen the youtube videos where they jab it with a screwdriver and that's what I had to do. The color was way off. It was a reddish brown almost like ATF. If that wasn't bad enough it was grossly overfilled. Machine takes .63 of a quart and somehow I drained out 1.25.

I siphoned out the gas tank. The 20 year old fuel still looked clean and clear. Only clue was the smell. Stale fuel just doesn't have that strong gas smell to it. Gave it a fresh fill of premium 91 gas and PYB 10w-30. I try to turn the motor slowly. Instant compression with smooth pull. I found this impressive since I didn't get to pull the spark plug or soak the piston. My instinct said fire it up. It took 5 pulls and it fired right up. Runs great and idles smooth. The generator is working again. No smoke from the pipe and the gaskets didn't implode.

After 20 minutes of run time I gave it another oil change. The PYB came out jet black. I think 1-2 more short OCIs are in order before it can go to work. As for the major overfill. Could that have helped keep corrosion out? I suspect the climate was on its side.

That's all for now. I will tinker with it a little more and post if anything major happens to it.

Honda was and is everything ahead of others. Glad it started up. You should share your story with honda.ca . Con them outta Donairs and tickets to watch the Habs beat the Leafs at Air Canada Centre.

Good odds the carb was run dry before shut off.

I have 2 Honda mowers and 2 Honda generators from that vintage - never a problem. All GX OHV types.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Marco620
Honda was and is everything ahead of others. Glad it started up. You should share your story with honda.ca . Con them outta Donairs and tickets to watch the Habs beat the Leafs at Air Canada Centre.

I think Honda engine of any type in the 90's and before was very reliable/durable. But lately they are not better than others in term of durability.

Last edited:
yes they seem to start well, but what carb design allows that? does anyone know? that is whats different about the Honda that allows it to usually start on one pull?

Originally Posted By: Marco620

Yes, Honda was one of the first companies to have disposable automatic transmissions.

PS: In the 80's and early 90's, Honda made awesomely reliable cars but since then they are not much better than most others....living on reputation.

Honda Commercial engines are very good and reliable. Only trouble we've ever had was with carbs gumming up over the winter but that was a maintenance issue and understandable with 50+ engines to deal with and a busy guy trying to manage that and everything else in the shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back