Honda DW-1 OLD Bottles Question.

A buddy of mine just gave me a case of HONDA DW-1 ATF. He forgot he even had it. Its been in his Garage for probably 10 years or more... I have a 2015 Acura ILX that uses HONDA DW-1.
My Qustion is the bottles have never been open however is it safe to use it???? Does it go bad after time???

The bottle looks like this and I have never seen these old bottles in real life.... I have only seen pictures.

The bottles look exactly like this but they are very dirty and dusty and can tell they have been sitting for years and years and years.
Do you think its safe to use???

Any Info would be nice
Thank you

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

oldbottle.jpg

Last edited:
I'd use it without a second thought. Does that count as "any info"?
Questions regarding old, sealed bottles of petroleum products come up with regularity.
A few posters have even contacted oil companies.

If I remember correctly, cellared oils are uniformly given a clean bill of health.

My own thought: It has been noted and pictured here that ad-pack elements occasionally precipitate out of motor oil.
"Give it a shake and use it", is the battle cry.
I don't think ATF has anywhere near the battery of additives engine oil has.

If you wanted to be thorough you could pour the bottle's contents through a cheesecloth lined funnel into another bottle just to inspect.
Hmmm...I guess that counts as a second thought.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by blufeb95
I'd still use it just shake it very well before use.

Where ever did you get that idea?

It's possible that some of the additives might have fallen out of suspension....can't hurt to shake

Originally Posted by AC1DD

It's possible that some of the additives might have fallen out of suspension....can't hurt to shake

I meant, where did he get that idea, when I posted the same, 6 posts previous.

Oh sorry I didn't catch that either...

Some members have other members on "ignore" so they can't see posts from that individual. It's possible he accidentally has you on ignore. I've encountered the same thing, where I post something and then much later someone else has posted the same thing as I , they must have me on ignore. They should remove that feature since it causes posts that are essentially duplicate comments.

Some members have other members on "ignore" so they can't see posts from that individual. It's possible he accidentally has you on ignore. I've encountered the same thing, where I post something and then much later someone else has posted the same thing as I , they must have me on ignore. They should remove that feature since it causes posts that are essentially duplicate comments.

Never heard of that ignore function or what the point of it is. If someone is being a [censored] to anyone here, the mods should suspend or ban them. How can you tell if someone is ignoring you?

Never heard of that ignore function or what the point of it is. If someone is being a [censored] to anyone here, the mods should suspend or ban them. How can you tell if someone is ignoring you?

I'm sorry but I don't know how you set it up or how it works since I never used it and don't feel a need to. Maybe someone else here can PM you the answer.

I do know that you can click below the users screename then you will see "view user profile" click on this then you will see buttons for "ignore" on that page.

Last edited:

Wow, it's almost like most people here would suggest the same thing but there's no upvote system so the only way to provide affirmation of a point to the OP is for multiple people to say the same thing.

I like those old bottles because they have long necks and are easy to pour
smile.gif

Napa used to use those same bottles for their house brand oil, but they don't anymore
cry.gif

But to answer your question, yes it is probably safe to use. Honda only stared using DW-1 in 2011, so the oldest bottle of DW-1 is about 10 years old

I'm sorry but I don't know how you set it up or how it works since I never used it and don't feel a need to. Maybe someone else here can PM you the answer.

I do know that you can click below the users screename then you will see "view user profile" click on this then you will see buttons for "ignore" on that page.

Yes, that shows how you can ignore someone. How do you see if someone is ignoring you? No need to PM the answer, others probably want to know too.

Back