Honda DW-1 Not Synthetic..

I know I have been told and have read that HONDA DW-1 is synthtic but at work When you look up Fluids on Honda / ACURAs.. It will list... Carquest and Castrol Multi Import and IDIMUTISU H PLUS..... Then it has notes..

Well on the Honda DW-1 it says Honda DW-1 Convental Honda ATF FLUID.. Then they list IDIMTISU H Plus and it says Convential... Then they list Eneos® - ECO Plus Automatic Transmission and it says FULL SYNTHETIC ...

Does anyone have any real docuemtation that HONDA DW-1 is really synthetic?

I have seen the old pictures of the old old old bottles from CANADA that said Honda DW-1 Synthetic ... but I have never seen it listed as such.

I KEEP FINDING THIS.

Honda FBA_08200-9008 08200-9008 Automatic Transmission Fluid, 4 Pack, 1 US QT /946 ML. ... "Our resources indicate that the ATF-DW1 genuine Honda transmission fluid is NOT synthetic in material

Honestly I get the same dilemma with Dexron Vl. You can buy it in some versions/brands as synthetic, but in others not. From AC Delco, I believe it's not.

So perhaps with Honda it's not, but others make it as synthetic.

Originally Posted by Railrust
Honestly I get the same dilemma with Dexron Vl. You can buy it in some versions/brands as synthetic, but in others not. From AC Delco, I believe it's not.

So perhaps with Honda it's not, but others make it as synthetic.

Slightly different subject/lube.

Funny that you mention AC Delco's version of DexVI not being a full synthetic. AC Delco's 0W20 motor oil also is a syn blend where most other OTC 0W20 are full syn even if only GrpIII.

But yeah, I too have heard that Honda's DW-1 is either a dino or a blend where other OTC major brands of ATF(aft spec or IMV's) are a full synthetic according to the companies website.

Very Strange b/c I have always been told even here at this site that HONDA DW-1 is FULL SYN and people would show this Picture.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

and people would say it was syn only b/c the pictures clearly say so...

It seems logical that if the US-sold DW-1 was fully synthetic, then it would be marketed (hyped) as such. Perhaps, CanadaIan law has a different definition for the meaning of "synthetic ". Or, the US and Canadian DW-1 have different base fluid.

Originally Posted by David1
Very Strange b/c I have always been told even here at this site that HONDA DW-1 is FULL SYN and people would show this Picture.

and people would say it was syn only b/c the pictures clearly say so...

What in the world? My DW-1 bottles say nothing about being synthetic????

Its conventional 100%,, Look at pictures from WORLD PAC

They even show how other brands are synthetic and others are convntional.. I put red arrows so you can see on pics.. This is right from WORLD PAC....

If you look at the ENEOS brand it it will say synthetic and then Honda Genuine DW-1 it will clearly say conventional....... also you can see how cheap we get it via world pac.. I see why price is so low now.

dw1nonsyn.jpg

Last edited:
From now on Im useing REDLINE ATF D6

I hear great reviews from REDLINE ATF D6 plus I only pay 10$ a Quart and its like 18$ a QT online....

0000229_d6-atf_464.jpeg

Very Strange b/c I have always been told even here at this site that HONDA DW-1 is FULL SYN and people would show this Picture .... and people would say it was syn only b/c the pictures clearly say so...

Is that what the bottles look like currently ? We bought some last year and they're gray bottles and the label is different.

Not an issue in a trans case.
This is not a Oil pans with its nasty contaminants like acidic water and fuel constituent and Ethanol dilution.

Last edited:

Gebo's head must be ready to explode; he bought it from the dealer and apparently doesn't really know "what" he's getting.... lol j/k

D6 is very affordable from Summit in gallon jugs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Very Strange b/c I have always been told even here at this site that HONDA DW-1 is FULL SYN and people would show this Picture .... and people would say it was syn only b/c the pictures clearly say so...

Is that what the bottles look like currently ? We bought some last year and they're gray bottles and the label is different.

Were yours Honda or Acura bottles? I got Acura and they are gray.

no they are grey botttles now and for years... I have been told when they first came out in CANADA .. I guess DW-1 was first released in CANDA.. Perhaps for the cold weather.. Im not sure.. Anyways... This is what the bottles looked like.. Then when DW1 made its way to the USA the bottles were grey.. Now they do have White bottles and they even have HONDA DW1 ULTRA.... and non are Synthetic.....

I have heard for years people who have told me to try REDLINE D4 and now D6 is better and I would notice a huge difference in performance..... Well Im going to try it... I ordered 9 Quarts of it....

Also Im shocked even IDIEMUTSU H PLUS is conventional..... Im totally shocked... I always was told and truly believed DW-1 was synthetic..... Perhaps I made myself believe it i dunno.... However I'm convinced its conventional now.

However It still works great.. Im in no way putting down HONDA DW-1.... I used it for years and had great results.... I was always to scared to use anything else...

Originally Posted by simple_gifts

Gebo's head must be ready to explode; he bought it from the dealer and apparently doesn't really know "what" he's getting.... lol j/k

LOL. It didn't make my head explode but it did make me run to the garage and see what my bottles say. I don't have a Honda but
I take care of someone else's CRV. Not too familiar with Honda fluids. I know none of my Toyota fluids are synthetic.

Hey, I don't trust my Honda Parts Mgr 100% yet.
grin.gif
He's only about a 90% as of today.

Last edited:

Also Im shocked even IDIEMUTSU H PLUS is conventional..... Im totally shocked... I always was told and truly believed DW-1 was synthetic..... Perhaps I made myself believe it i dunno.... However I'm convinced its conventional not

Yes, I saw some reviews on Amazon stating that Idemitsu H Plus was synthetic, but if it was I'm sure it would be marketed as synthetic.

honda / acura dw1 is the same thing.. i dunno why acura bottles cost more.. they should be grey...... just the sticker is different

its basically Dex LV... Im sure Honda adds there own additive package... Or whome ever makes it for Honda....

My problem is ... I was always told it was full syn.. I remember when ATF Z1 was being replaced by ATF DW1 and they said the DW-1 was syn and ATF Z1 was regular conventional...

Im going to go with REDLINE... I have heard people telling me about it for years and have good results..... Actually I have had good results with DW1 but I do a dain and fill each 3rd oil change....

I remember hearing it was semi-syn in the US, oh well, it works great in my Accord and worked fine for 150k in my old 7th gen v6 that was known to have a glass transmission

Originally Posted by JEL01
I remember hearing it was semi-syn in the US, oh well, it works great in my Accord and worked fine for 150k in my old 7th gen v6 that was known to have a glass transmission

true... Im not saying its bad.. Heck i used it for years... 260K miles on my accord v6 and the trans never failed......

Back