Honda DOT 3 Brake Fluid Supplier Change?

Prestone DOT4 MAX is creeping with price to ATE fluids, and Prestone ain’t ATE.
The Prestone DOT3 MAX is $9.99 at AZ. I would love to see some specs on it.

I prefer to use a quality DOT3 over a DOT4 when the application supports it.

EDIT: Looks like DOT3 MAX is 496F dry vs 460F for their "regular" DOT3 fluid.

Yeah, that looks good. That looks close to their DOT4 Max.

They may just rebrand the DOT4 to DOT3 Max so people will not be confused and still pay more for it.

Sometimes people who aren't gear head will think DOT4 is not to be used and then buy the most expensive DOT3 out there.

US Design Patent 278,975 was assigned to Gold Eagle Co. of Chicago, IL who also had a now expired trademark (SN 72323556) on "AUTOCHEM".

In addition to owning such brands as 303, HEET, and STA-BIL, Gold Eagle has a contract packaging / private label division that "... has hundreds of formulations created and packaged for Tier 1 automotive manufacturers like Honda", as well as their own private label "MOTOR FORCE" brand that includes DOT 3 brake fluid in their catalog.
And looks like CCI does supply fluid to Gold
Eagle. I know CCI is the company behind OEM Toyota/Honda/Subaru coolant as well as Peak and many other brands.

Thanks for the info. I faintly recall Recochem selling the “OEM” brand of coolants and brake fluids.

Not all brake fluids are the same. GM recently stated in a TSB that their Delco Supreme II fluid contains improved lubrication properties to solve a pedal squeak issue.

Similarly, Honda and Toyota had a recall about 10 years ago due to a supplier using material for the master cyl seal that would respond poorly if brake fluid with inadequate lubricants (aftermarket) was used.

Based on those two examples I am inclined to believe that the OE fluids may contain other additives that aftermarket fluids may/may not.

I paid $8.94/qt from the dealer.
I researched the Toyota/Honda master cylinder seal failure fiasco extensively back in the day. Problem was not brake fluid as officially reported. Toyota and Honda got a batch of bad seals from the same supplier. All of the early reported seal failures were on relatively new vehicles with FF fluid. Seal failures had nothing to do aftermarket fluids. Just trying to shift blame to consumer.

I researched the Toyota/Honda master cylinder seal failure fiasco extensively back in the day. Problem was not brake fluid as officially reported. Toyota and Honda got a batch of bad seals from the same supplier. All of the early reported seal failures were on relatively new vehicles with FF fluid. Seal failures had nothing to do aftermarket fluids. Just trying to shift blame to consumer.
On bikes, SRAM had a similar issue but much more serious. At colder temperatures, one of the internal seals would fail - lever would still feel solid. They never blamed the fluid, it was time for a recall and redesign.

Back