Honda dealership failure...looking for advice

Honda filters have P gaskets that are captured. A double gasket filter if both were Honda filters is HIGHLY unlikely.

Id say "Joe" is not getting the whole story.

Was the oil all over the place, because my guess is they didn't put oil in it...
And it would have left a trail of oil out of the service bay. No way that wouldn't have been caught.

Update:

"Joe" took my advice and demanded a new short block. They ended up settling on a lifetime power-train warranty for the car. I think while it was not the most convenient thing in the world, it seems like a win in the end, as I do agree with most of you...most likely little to no damage was done to the engine.

Very cool.

Like said, the engine is probably fine and if it isn't, it's on them some day.

I think you got the best possible deal. I'd be satisfied at this point. Not jumping for joy happy. Just satisfied.

Power train includes a lot more than the engine.;)

There’s no real objective evidence that any damage was done. I think the outcome that has resulted is the best one could ask for.

Ok BITOG, just looking for outside perspectives to pass on to one of my friends...

Subject car: 2018 Accord Hybrid with ~30k miles

Situation: "Joe" took the car to the dealership where he purchased it from. He has done this from the time he bought it to be sure to maintain the warranty, even though he does not particularly like it. Yesterday he picked up his car from the standard service (oil change) and within roughly 0.75 miles, the oil pressure light came on, and he saw a message to not drive the car. He pulled over, and called the dealership service center. They advised him to drive it back. When he returned, they promptly ushered him into the waiting area and his car disappeared. The service manager came out, and said all was "ok" that they did fill it with oil, but it had a "double O-ring" so the oil was blocked from circulating through the engine (MAJOR BS). They had already drained the oil, and all was well.

Joe asked to see his car and the technician. He asked the tech if he drained the oil, and he said yes. Joe asked how much oil came out, and the tech said about 0.5 quarts...at which point, the way he described it was that the managers face was all sorts of messed up ;-) He asked to see the filter, and it looked fine from his description...but get this...they would not let him take the filter with him.

Long story short, he and the service manager documented the story in the vehicle history, and Joe left with a fresh oil change done properly, with the intention to return.

So BITOG...what would you do?

My advice was to ask for a NEW short block and settle for a lifetime power-train warranty. Realize this is a hybrid car, and he drove the first part of the trip with engine off, and the return trip was also engine off...that is why he did not see an oil light until over half a mile down the road. I'm guessing he has literally seconds of engine on time during this fiasco.
Call Honda Corporate and open a case file to formally document this at corporate. If engine damage was to occur, then it would be easier for Honda corporate to swoop in and correct things, versus battling the dealership

When a plaintiff brings an action for damage to personal property, damages are measured by the cost of repair (plus reasonable compensation for plaintiff's loss of use while the property is being repaired) unless the repair costs exceed the value of the damaged property, in which case the plaintiff's damages are measured by the fair market value of the damaged property immediately before the loss.

Before reading the responses to the OP, I figured the solution was an engine warranty. I would just be certain of the wording in the warranty, and make sure it isn't required that all service be completed by that dealership or something crazy like that.

While it certainly isn't ideal, I don't believe any significant damage was likely done. A friend is a manager at a quick lube, and they have multiple cars a day that come in with very little to no oil in them, and some of these cars keep coming back, running exactly the same. The low oil is documented to the customer, and they continue on.

Update:

"Joe" took my advice and demanded a new short block. They ended up settling on a lifetime power-train warranty for the car. I think while it was not the most convenient thing in the world, it seems like a win in the end, as I do agree with most of you...most likely little to no damage was done to the engine.

Without knowing any more details than what’s been provided, I am inclined to believe Mr Joseph’s vehicle suffered no real harm from the event, and likewise Ole Joey didn’t get anything of substantial value in compensation either.

That lifetime warranty’s paperwork should be gone over with a fine toothed comb, looking for any and all caveats that might paint reality in a different light from what is assumed.

Who owns/sold the warranty, the manufacturer or a 3rd party?

Is the warranty transferable?

Does the warranty provide coverage and services identical to the factory version it supersedes?

Is the driver required to complete certain tasks to maintain the warranty?

Those are just some of the gotchas I can think of off the top of my head that could be part of that deal which aren’t immediately evident on cursory examinations, and that’s not going to be an accident if true.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to place a call to Customer Relations to make a record of this incident, but as for any immediate remedy, they've fixed the problem. Now, it will be a matter of waiting to see what the engine will do. Monitor the oil usage and be mindful of any new noises. If you really want to get ahead of it, run a scope into the valve cover and see if you can spot any cam scoring. If you are able, do the next oil change yourself, making sure to keep the receipts for oil & filter, and send a sample to Blackstone. That report may be very informational.

From my two experiences with major work done at the dealer, one a whole transmission and the other a cylinder head gasket recall replacement, move on and be happy. In my cases everything was made worse. The engine he has is factory made and installed. Don’t know if Honda replacement engines are reman or new but there is a whole lot of taking off and putting back on of parts with a short block. I wouldn’t trust them to do a factory like job in the least.

From my two experiences with major work done at the dealer, one a whole transmission and the other a cylinder head gasket recall replacement, move on and be happy. In my cases everything was made worse. The engine he has is factory made and installed. Don’t know if Honda replacement engines are reman or new but there is a whole lot of taking off and putting back on of parts with a short block. I wouldn’t trust them to do a factory like job in the least.
I agree 100%. Can you imagine the same guys doing "double O-ring" putting everything back together? Warranty is the way to go.

Last edited:
Who owns/sold the warranty, the manufacturer or a 3rd party?
That was my question too. I would only have accepted a Honda warranty. They may have given "Joe" a 3rd-party warranty, the same types they sell with used cars, which I wouldn't want in this situation.

I though only specialize techs are only allow to service hybrids. You put your trust in these dealerships and this happens not good

What makes no sense in this whole story is the part where the service advisior says to drive it back AFTER the oil light went on. That should of been a tow....and then owner should of insisted on it.

I agree that they should not have told him to drive it back with the oil light on. I would be satisfied with a lifetime powertrain warranty though. If these transmissions are anything like the other transmissions Honda made, it is probably a lot more likely to fail than the engine and is covered under a powertrain warranty. In my opinion the likelihood of any significant damage is quite low as long as it doesn't sound any different than it did before this incident. I would personally cut the old filter open next oil change and look for glitter in it and I would have a sample of the used oil analyzed. If the filter has no glitter and the oil analysis results are normal there wasn't damage done no matter what anyone says.

Ok BITOG, just looking for outside perspectives to pass on to one of my friends...

Subject car: 2018 Accord Hybrid with ~30k miles

Situation: "Joe" took the car to the dealership where he purchased it from. He has done this from the time he bought it to be sure to maintain the warranty, even though he does not particularly like it. Yesterday he picked up his car from the standard service (oil change) and within roughly 0.75 miles, the oil pressure light came on, and he saw a message to not drive the car. He pulled over, and called the dealership service center. They advised him to drive it back. When he returned, they promptly ushered him into the waiting area and his car disappeared. The service manager came out, and said all was "ok" that they did fill it with oil, but it had a "double O-ring" so the oil was blocked from circulating through the engine (MAJOR BS). They had already drained the oil, and all was well.

Joe asked to see his car and the technician. He asked the tech if he drained the oil, and he said yes. Joe asked how much oil came out, and the tech said about 0.5 quarts...at which point, the way he described it was that the managers face was all sorts of messed up ;-) He asked to see the filter, and it looked fine from his description...but get this...they would not let him take the filter with him.

Long story short, he and the service manager documented the story in the vehicle history, and Joe left with a fresh oil change done properly, with the intention to return.

So BITOG...what would you do?

My advice was to ask for a NEW short block and settle for a lifetime power-train warranty. Realize this is a hybrid car, and he drove the first part of the trip with engine off, and the return trip was also engine off...that is why he did not see an oil light until over half a mile down the road. I'm guessing he has literally seconds of engine on time during this fiasco.

Took my car to the dealer for an oil change, told me it was done, paid, got keys, unlocked car, popped hood, checked oil, then drove off.

May I recommend this in the future?

Back