Honda dealers are just as bad as

Why not switch brands? For those types of markups, there's other brands that don't so it can be cheaper switching brands. Sounds like Ford isn't really marking up their cars that much unless it's a high demand model. And someone else here was complaining about not being able to get a good lease deal on a Mercedes C class but at least those are at MSRP.
I did place two factory orders with Ford in the last 8 months because I liked the way the Bronco Sport and Maverick looked. Both orders were sight unseen because the dealers didn’t have any on their lots. I finally found a Bronco Sport test drive and didn’t like it. The 3 cylinder engine was terrible. I then cancelled that order and ordered a Maverick, found one to test drive a month later and didn’t like it either, strike 2 for Ford. Both of these cars were ordered for MSRP, so yes you can find Ford dealers selling for MSRP.

I test drove and liked the new Honda HR-V, that’s why I been contacting all the dealers in my State. I also have budget and I’m not willing to pay over MSRP for any car even in this current environment. The bubble will break soon and car values will be back in the toilet again as a depreciating asset.

Who buys a battery at the dealership?

Honestly the best life I've ever gotten out of a battery in Arizona was from factory batteries. I'm not sure if Johnson Controls & East Penn make the OE batteries with a higher degree of quality but they all surprisingly lasted around 4 years which is unheard of out here. I still would never pay those prices regardless.

And if you have a 2016–2019 Infiniti Q50 with the Mercedes-Benz I4 engine you'll be forced to buy a battery at the dealership! Strangest car I've ever seen... the manual & service manual require the use of a special Japanese battery that is unavailable anywhere but special order at the Infiniti dealership for $400+. Good luck if you get stuck somewhere.

yeah, ok, I suppose I'm being one of those customers paying 30% over the market for "best in the class original Honda battery" and 140$ on top of that for installation and expecting dealership to stand up to their warranty claims, and you're being one of the service technicians/service writers . BTW, nowhere on the warranty paperwork does it say that the battery needs to be IN THE CAR for it to be warranted. Nor it is being disclosed at the time of the purchase.
You are hilarious. So I can take the gearbox or engine out of a car and present it at a dealer parts counter state that the car it’s out of is less than 3 years old and that if they would like to test it to confirm then they can, and you actually expect any other answer than the one you received??!!

Wake up and realise the dealer has to abide by the warranty policy set out by the manufacturer. A dealer found to be working outside of policy can have the claim debited back and If this is found at a standards audit then that value is x10 across all the claims they find. Can end up in eye watering sums.

Anybody with common sense understands you buy a vehicle with a warranty so the vehicle has to be presented for you to claim on that warranty.

Buy a part from a dealer and want warranty on it? Again you present the car, the dealer is obligated to confirm the part that was fitted was done so correctly and nothing has influenced the failure, also that the part has in fact failed and not something else.

It’s really not that hard.

You are hilarious. So I can take the gearbox or engine out of a car and present it at a dealer parts counter state that the car it’s out of is less than 3 years old and that if they would like to test it to confirm then they can, and you actually expect any other answer than the one you received??!!

Wake up and realise the dealer has to abide by the warranty policy set out by the manufacturer. A dealer found to be working outside of policy can have the claim debited back and If this is found at a standards audit then that value is x10 across all the claims they find. Can end up in eye watering sums.

Anybody with common sense understands you buy a vehicle with a warranty so the vehicle has to be presented for you to claim on that warranty.

Buy a part from a dealer and want warranty on it? Again you present the car, the dealer is obligated to confirm the part that was fitted was done so correctly and nothing has influenced the failure, also that the part has in fact failed and not something else.

Calm down, sailor. I am indeed hilarious, everyone who knows truly appreciates and adores my sense of humor.

I know exactly how customer service is and how things work when it comes to warranty replacement and work across the atlantic. Been there done that. It's a bit different over here. Costco, where I bought a new battery, also has a 3yr warranty and has none of these nonsense requirements. Bring the battery, they test it, if it's bad - you get a new one. A don't be ridiculous trying to compare engine and car battery, you know better than that. Anyhow, enough talking, moving on. Stay warm and safe, good lad!

I know exactly how customer service is and how things work when it comes to warranty replacement and work across the atlantic. Been there done that. It's a bit different over here. Costco, where I bought a new battery, also has a 3yr warranty and has none of these nonsense requirements. Bring the battery, they test it, if it's bad - you get a new one. A don't be ridiculous trying to compare engine and car battery, you know better than that. Anyhow, enough talking, moving on. Stay warm and safe, good lad!
Costco is a retail store. Not an automobile manufacturer.
Auto manufacturers have a very different warranty process. It is unrealistic to expect the same warranty process.

fair enough. but how about disclosing it to the client prior to the purchase?
Well, where do you draw the line on the amount of information to be stated?

All of the owners manuals state to visit your local dealership for any warranty concerns. The warranty process will vary depending on the component. Some warranty items may require a tech line call for approval. Some might even require a Field Service Engineer to see the vehicle. Processes change regularly.

I
Well, where do you draw the line on the amount of information to be stated?

All of the owners manuals state to visit your local dealership for any warranty concerns. The warranty process will vary depending on the component. Some warranty items may require a tech line call for approval. Some might even require a Field Service Engineer to see the vehicle. Processes change regularly.
Well, if they provide you with booklet that tells how great 100 month warranty is for your newly purchased battery, then I'd imagine adding a couple of lines explaining exactly what the conditions of the warranty are wouldn't be too much of problem, would it? Funny thing that service fella told me "all customers complaint about it" to which I answered "no surprise".

Well, if they provide you with booklet that tells how great 100 month warranty is for your newly purchased battery, then I'd imagine adding a couple of lines explaining exactly what the conditions of the warranty are wouldn't be too much of problem, would it? Funny thing that service fella told me "all customers complaint about it" to which I answered "no surprise".
1659552677409.jpg

Not sure why you even bothered. It sounds like your battery was already replaced once under warranty. It is a part only warranty on the replacement battery anyway.

If they stated the warranty process in verbatim for every part, the booklet would be ridiculously long.

No sir, original battery failed around 3.5yr mark and I was told I'd have to purchase and pay a full price for a new battery. So, here you go, they hosed me at the time of the purchase (that's on me, I should've done my research but I trusted the guy saying it's out of warranty)
View attachment 110986

Not sure why you even bothered. It sounds like your battery was already replaced once under warranty. It is a part only warranty on the replacement battery anyway.

If they stated the warranty process in verbatim for every part, the booklet would be ridiculously long.

No sir, original battery failed around 3.5yr mark and I was told I'd have to purchase and pay a full price for a new battery. So, here you go, they hosed me at the time of the purchase (that's on me, I should've done my research but I trusted the guy saying it's out of warranty)
Original battery is only warrantied for 3 years or 36K, whichever comes first.

So yes, your first failure at 3.5 years would not have been covered under warranty.

The failure of that replacement battery is also parts only.

Not seeing the issue here, it sounds like the matter is being handled correctly. Maybe just not compared to how Costco would have handled it. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Original battery is only warrantied for 3 years or 36K, whichever comes first.

So yes, your first failure at 3.5 years would not have been covered under warranty.

The failure of that replacement battery is also parts only.

Not seeing the issue here, it sounds like the matter is being handled correctly. Maybe just not compared to how Costco would have handled it. 🤷🏻‍♂️
No issues - 130$ and one trip to Costco - problem solved. New battery in the car, works good, happy wife, happy life.

I agree that he shouldn't have taken the battery out because the warranty was on the entire car not just the battery. But if you buy a part like a battery at the parts counter, then you should just be able to return the bad/defective part at the parts counter. In his case, he didn't buy the part at the parts counter, it was a warranty on the entire car so yeah, the dealer should have the entire car to properly diagnose it. For all he knew, it could have just been a bad alternator instead that was killing the battery so a battery swap wouldn't have fixed it.

I did place two factory orders with Ford in the last 8 months because I liked the way the Bronco Sport and Maverick looked. Both orders were sight unseen because the dealers didn’t have any on their lots. I finally found a Bronco Sport test drive and didn’t like it. The 3 cylinder engine was terrible. I then cancelled that order and ordered a Maverick, found one to test drive a month later and didn’t like it either, strike 2 for Ford. Both of these cars were ordered for MSRP, so yes you can find Ford dealers selling for MSRP.

I test drove and liked the new Honda HR-V, that’s why I been contacting all the dealers in my State. I also have budget and I’m not willing to pay over MSRP for any car even in this current environment. The bubble will break soon and car values will be back in the toilet again as a depreciating asset.
I think they're saying 6-12 months starting now and things might already be softening in certain brands. Were you buying off the lot or trying to place a custom order? I think if you can wait and place an order, you can get MSRP, not surprised the ones on the lot had a 12k markup. You could get a Mercedes GLA instead, they start at 36k and probably 40-45k with some nice options and a custom order wouldn't have a markup.

Dealers around me don’t have any cars on the lots, Jeep and Ram are two that actually have vehicles to choose from. All the cars I been looking at were “in transit”. I believe you can’t order a Honda and Toyota like other makes. My budget is <$30K

Calm down, sailor. I am indeed hilarious, everyone who knows truly appreciates and adores my sense of humor.

Costco also has a record of you buying that exact battery.
Any Joe can walk into the dealer and say "this battery came from my 3 year old car" and get free/cheaper battery (part of why we now have to scan the Vin and test the charging system in some cases)

Last edited:
I agree that he shouldn't have taken the battery out because the warranty was on the entire car not just the battery. But if you buy a part like a battery at the parts counter, then you should just be able to return the bad/defective part at the parts counter. In his case, he didn't buy the part at the parts counter, it was a warranty on the entire car so yeah, the dealer should have the entire car to properly diagnose it. For all he knew, it could have just been a bad alternator instead that was killing the battery so a battery swap wouldn't have fixed it.
It had nothing to do with entire car warranty. At the time I was brought to the dealer it was out of 3yr/36,000mi bumper to bumper. So the battery was not warrantied. And I had to pay for battery and installation. And if you are agreeing that i shouldn't have taken it out, what would you do? Get the 300$ tow over 1230$ battery?

Back