Honda CRV Auto Transmission Whine

Status
Not open for further replies.
We recently purchased a 2001 Auto CRV 2WD w/ 170k miles. I hear a whine through all the gears. 4th being the loudest. I think its the transmission because its coming from the front and when I put it in neutral on the move, the whine stops.

The transmission was last 'flushed' by some typical oil change shop 20k miles ago. Through out it's life since new, it has gotten the fluid changed at the same shop every 50k. Currently the transmission shifts perfectly firm and finds gear just fine. Just the whine is concerning me.

Anyone have experience with Honda auto whine? Is it normal? Anything that you did that helped? Did it explode soon after ?

I am thinking about doing a 3 change with maxlife and adding lubegard red.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
The whine is pretty common. Usually comes from the torque converter or pump. I would do a 3 quart drain and fill with Maxlife to be able to inspect the debris on the drain plug magnet. If not excessive don't worry too much. It is fairly common, and my Pilot does it. The Acura CL I sold to a friend recently does it as well.

Does it still whine when in 4th and the converter is locked?

If it's the light whine that many Hondacuras have I wouldn't be too worried. That's more of a whirring on hard acceleration though. If it's loud like a power steering whine then I would be more concerned. Either way 3 drain and fills with Max life and a filter change* if applicable* certainly will not hurt.

Last edited:
Its actually loudest at 4th gear.

Its not as loud as a power steering pump. Its almost like a CVT whine or a very light supercharger whine.

This is VERY common on Honda automatic transmission vehicles. I would call it normal.
As long as it shifts normally I'd ignore it as long as it doesn't get any louder over time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
This is VERY common on Honda automatic transmission vehicles. I would call it normal.
As long as it shifts normally I'd ignore it as long as it doesn't get any louder over time.

Can anyone confirm this? Did you have personal experience with whine? Just wondering!

I had a Honda and Mazda both with very whiny automatics. The Honda whined for over 80,000 miles before I traded it in at 293,000 miles, and the Mazda whined for over 100,000 miles (started after a cooling line rupture leaked most of the fluid out before I made it home one day) and was traded at 180,000 miles. Both worked fine, other than the noise. They both only whined while in drive, never in park or nuetral.

Maxlife is thinner than Import. Sometimes visc can muffle noise.

Castrol Import and HighMileage ATFs are good choices too. Castrol Transmax HM is 8cst and would be my 1st choice for a whiner.

Lubegard Red or Platinum aren't needed but can be added.

Maybe a dumb question... but are you sure it's coming from the transmission? The reason I ask is because my car sounds like it does the same thing, when shifting in to neutral while rolling it goes away. Have you revved it while stationary? Turns out my whine is one of the engine accessories, not sure which yet but thought I'd throw it out there.

I am 99% sure its the transmission. When in neutral, it does not whine. Also when I rev it in neutral, there is no whine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back