Honda CRV 1.5L Turbo Fuel Dilution?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forgive me if this has been posted previously. I searched BITOG but could not find anything. I'm seriously considering buying a 2018 Honda CRV but recently noticed a lot of internet chatter regarding fuel dilution issues in cold climates with that engine (primarily with the 2017 model year). I guess Honda got into a serious disagreement with China over that problem earlier this year and apparently suspended CRV sales for a period of time. The Honda CRV owners forum reports some problems but nothing too definitive. Even noticed a few ambulance chasing lawyers trolling for consumer experiences with the CRV for potential class action lawsuits. I talked with 2 Honda service department managers and one acknowledged he'd heard of the issue, but not seen anything locally ... I live in Arkansas. So anyway, was wondering if anyone here has an experience or understanding of the real problem (if there actually is one). Thanks

There have been a few threads on this and a few UOAs showing 5% fuel. I wouldn't buy a Honda with the 1.5T until this gets corrected.

I would not purchase one at this time. If you do some reading on the CRV boards you will read of failures already.

no problems here in the cold I'll just siphon off a quart of diluted lube right through the dipstick hole and replace it with a half quart fresh maybe 2-3 times over the 7 month winter here...also bumped the oil grade x2..real nice engine in all other aspects.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
no problems here in the cold I'll just siphon off a quart of diluted lube right through the dipstick hole and replace it with a half quart fresh maybe 2-3 times over the 7 month winter here...also bumped the oil grade x2..real nice engine in all other aspects.

Who wants to do that. Honda, get with it!

The 1.5t oil smells from gasoline on one daughter's car. She drives the car daily at least 20 miles each way in NJ. The other daughter has the 1.8 and has no odor in the oil. Stay away from the 1.5t.

Fuel/oil mix can make its way past the rings to the combustion chamber for more power, a la recent F1 scandal. Maybe they're giving you more power without you knowing it
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: dblshock

Who wants to do that. Honda, get with it!

if you have the equipment and a garage it takes 10 min...will keep the engine healthy imo...full oil changes are a pia on the Civic doing the belly pan removal, ramps ect.

I know there are two engines in the CRV. The automakers are making a mistake tuning turbocharged engines to run on 87 octane. The ECU needs to dump additional fuel in the combustion chamber under certain conditions when running 87 octane when it doesn't need to if a higher octane fuel was used. Unfortunately, Americans are addicted to cheap gas. I think if you run premium you wont have fuel dilution issues in the turbocharged Honda's. This is why GM and other automakers wanna do away with 87 octane, it's crap in many modern engines.

Look carefully at this UOA and come up with your own conclusion:

1zc7jt.png

The CRV is the must boring vehicle on the planet.....Just saying. They were created for young moms with 2 or 3 kids...It fulfills its mission nicely..no thanks.

I had a 2017 until about a month ago, it rode too rough for me...... Got the wife a new RX350--- she loves that ride. I have heard of the ''problems'' folks were having, never any fault in ours, though.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I know there are two engines in the CRV. The automakers are making a mistake tuning turbocharged engines to run on 87 octane. The ECU needs to dump additional fuel in the combustion chamber under certain conditions when running 87 octane when it doesn't need to if a higher octane fuel was used. Unfortunately, Americans are addicted to cheap gas. I think if you run premium you wont have fuel dilution issues in the turbocharged Honda's. This is why GM and other automakers wanna do away with 87 octane, it's crap in many modern engines.

Look carefully at this UOA and come up with your own conclusion:

1zc7jt.png

I run E091 exclusively..still dilutes in the very cold months.

Oh for Pete's sake not another 1.5T fuel dilution thread full of alarmists. Yes the condition exists, particularly in cold climates (when it's cold), but there isn't any significant widespread degradation or failures documented because of it. Generally, the CR-V has gotten excellent reviews not only for driveability but also reliability, so I'd still take a Honda 1.5T over the equivalent engine from Subaru or Hyundai without hesitation.

Originally Posted By: Al
The CRV is the must boring vehicle on the planet.....Just saying. They were created for young moms with 2 or 3 kids...It fulfills its mission nicely..no thanks.

it is not sexy agree but the car gets job done surely; considering its longevity, functionality, fuel efficiency, and its residual value, it is fair to say that no compact SUV in the price range comes close to it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back